Current:Home > MyActor Kevin Spacey found not guilty on sexual assault charges in London -Capitatum
Actor Kevin Spacey found not guilty on sexual assault charges in London
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-05 22:22:25
LONDON -- Actor Kevin Spacey was on Wednesday found not guilty in a London court of a series of sexual assaults against several accusers.
Twelve jurors at the Southwark Crown Court had begun deliberating at about noon on Monday following a three-week trial. Spacey, 64, had pleaded not guilty to 12 charges of sexual assault.
The jury cleared Spacey of nine charges. The additional charges had been struck down before the jury began its deliberations.
Prosecutors had sought during the trial to label Spacey as a "sexual bully," and the actor took the stand to defend himself. Musician Elton John appeared as a witness for the defense, testifying remotely from Monaco about Spacey once attending a gala at his Windsor home.
Spacey had appeared in a London court in July 2022 to plead not guilty after Metropolitan Police formally charged him.
MORE: Kevin Spacey pleads not guilty to sexual offense charges in London court
The Crown Prosecution Service announced five charges against Spacey in May 2022, accusing him of sexual assaults against three men and one charge of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, prosecutors said. An additional seven charges were added in November 2022.
The Academy Award-winning actor has faced allegations and charges of sexual assault in both the United Kingdom and United States. He was found not liable in October in a civil sexual assault suit brought by fellow actor Anthony Rapp in New York City.
Spacey in May 2022 told "Good Morning America" that he would "voluntarily" appear in court in London.
"I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service's statement in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial, and innocent until proven otherwise," Spacey told "GMA" at the time. "While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the U.K. as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence."
Several of the U.K. allegations from 2001 and 2013 stemmed from Spacey's tenure as artistic director at The Old Vic, a London theater company. Allegations were made public in 2017, two years after Spacey had left his post.
"These allegations have been a shock and a disturbing surprise to many of us," Matthew Warchus, who followed Spacey as artistic director, said in a statement issued at the time. "It is incorrect, unfair and irresponsible to say that everybody knew."
ABC News' Joe Simonetti contributed to this report.
veryGood! (1556)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- 2024 Olympics: Simone Biles Has the Perfect Response to Criticism Over Her Hair
- PHOTO COLLECTION: Tensions rise in Venezuela after Sunday’s presidential election - July 30, 2024
- An infant died after being forgotten in the back seat of a hot car, Louisiana authorities say
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Nicola Peltz Beckham accuses grooming company of 'reckless and malicious conduct' after dog's death
- Fed leaves key interest rate unchanged, signals possible rate cut in September
- China's Pan Zhanle crushes his own world record in 100 freestyle
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Argentina star Ángel Di María says family received pig's head, threat to daughter's life
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Judge throws out remaining claims in oil pipeline protester’s excessive-force lawsuit
- For Orioles, trade deadline, Jackson Holliday's return reflect reality: 'We want to go all the way'
- Evy Leibfarth 'very proud' after winning Olympic bronze in canoe slalom
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- North Carolina Environmental Regulators at War Over Water Rules for “Forever Chemicals”
- Federal protections of transgender students are launching where courts haven’t blocked them
- Jets’ McCutcheon has made mental health awareness his mission since best friend’s death in 8th grade
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
When Amazon sells dangerous items, it's responsible for recalling them, feds rule
Lady Gaga's Olympics opening ceremony number was prerecorded 'for safety reasons'
Italian gymnast Giorgia Villa goes viral during Olympics for brand deal with cheese
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Federal judge says New Jersey’s ban on AR-15 rifles is unconstitutional
'The Sims' added a polyamory option. I tried it out.
Sonya Massey made multiple 911 calls for mental health crises in days before police shot her at home