Current:Home > ScamsThird Republican presidential debate to be held in Miami on Nov. 8 -Capitatum
Third Republican presidential debate to be held in Miami on Nov. 8
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-05 22:14:49
The third Republican presidential debate will be held on Nov. 8 in Miami, with candidates facing the toughest requirements yet to qualify to take the stage.
Candidates will have to reach 4% in multiple polls, and they'll have to have 70,000 unique donors to earn a spot in the debate, the Republican National Committee said Friday. The Republican Party has not announce who the moderators will be.
The RNC made the announcement days before candidates are to meet for their second primary debate. Former President Donald Trump skipped the first debate and will be absent from the second one, too. Instead, he plans to meet with current and former union workers in Michigan, while the Sept. 27 debate takes place at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
- The first Republican debate's biggest highlights: Revisit 7 key moments
The requirements for the third debate will be more challenging to meet than the second. For the second debate, candidates need at least 3% in two national polls or 3% in one national poll as well as two polls from four of the early-voting states — Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina, according to the RNC. The White House hopefuls must also have at least 50,000 unique donors.
The GOP hasn't confirmed the qualified participants for Wednesday's debate, but several campaigns have said they've satisfied the marks, including former Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, Sen. Tim Scott, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and former Vice President Mike Pence.
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson participated in the first debate, but their attendance for the second is uncertain.
The candidates are arranged on stage based on their order in polls that meet standards set by the RNC, with higher-performing candidates standing closer to center stage.
Scott, who was second from the right edge of the stage for the first GOP debate last month, has proposed the RNC change how it orders the candidates for next week's debate. In a letter to Chair Ronna McDaniel, Scott's campaign argued that, since Iowa's caucus is the leadoff to GOP balloting next year, "polling results from Iowa should be the primary consideration for podium placement at the September debate."
"The debate committee has had a very thoughtful approach to the entire process, and we continue to welcome input from all candidates, partners and stakeholders," RNC officials said of Scott's proposal. "We look forward to hosting another fair and transparent debate stage in Simi Valley."
- In:
- South Carolina
- Iowa
- Tim Scott
- Donald Trump
- Politics
- North Dakota
- Miami
- California
veryGood! (713)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Kaitlyn Bristowe Shares Update on Her Journey to Motherhood 6 Years After Freezing Her Eggs
- ESPN networks go dark on Charter Spectrum cable systems on busy night for sports
- Ohio lawmaker stripped of leadership after a second arrest in domestic violence case
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Bill 'Spaceman' Lee 'stable' after experiencing 'health scare' at minor league game
- Love Is Blind’s Marshall Debuts Girlfriend of One Year on After the Altar
- Tropical Storm Jose forms in the Atlantic Ocean
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Biden administration proposes rule that would require more firearms dealers to run background checks
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Florida father arrested 2 years after infant daughter found with baby wipe in throat
- Hurricane Idalia's financial toll could reach $20 billion
- Customers pan new Walmart shopping cart on social media after limited rollout
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys facing civil lawsuits in Vegas alleging sexual assault decades ago
- Scientists say study found a direct link between greenhouse gas emissions and polar bear survival
- After years of fighting, a praying football coach got his job back. Now he’s unsure he wants it
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
'Sleepless in Seattle' at 30: Real-life radio host Delilah still thinks love conquers all
Former state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars
Maine wants to expand quarantine zones to stop tree-killing pests
Bodycam footage shows high
New York City is embracing teletherapy for teens. It may not be the best approach
Love Is Blind: After the Altar Season 4 Status Check: See Which Couples Are Still Together
Judge halts drag show restrictions from taking effect in Texas