Current:Home > StocksChina says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing -Capitatum
China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 11:33:39
BEIJING — China accused the Philippines on Friday (Dec 13) of having "provoked trouble" in the South China Sea with US backing, a week after Beijing and Manila traded accusations over a new confrontation in the disputed waters.
"The Philippine side, with US support and solicitation, has been stirring up trouble in many spots in the South China Sea," Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's defence ministry, said on its official WeChat account.
"The Philippines is well aware that the scope of its territory is determined by a series of international treaties and has never included China's" Spratly Islands and Scarborough Shoal, he added.
Beijing and Manila have been involved this year in a series of confrontations at reefs and outcrops in the South China Sea, which China claims almost in its entirety.
The Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of the sea. They are concerned China's expansive claim encroaches into their exclusive economic zones (EEZ), non-territorial waters that extend 200 nautical miles (370 km) from the coasts of a nation's land.
The Philippines' National Maritime Council and its National Security Council did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest remarks from Beijing.
The US Navy's 7th Fleet also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Philippines officials said last week that Chinese coast guard vessels had fired water cannon and side-swiped a Manila fisheries bureau boat on the way to deliver supplies to Filipino fishermen around the Scarborough Shoal, a move that drew condemnation from the US
China's Coast Guard said that four Philippine ships had attempted to enter waters it described as its own around the Scarborough Shoal, which Beijing calls Huangyan Island.
China submitted nautical charts earlier this month to the United Nations that it said supported its claims to the waters, which a 2016 international tribunal found to be a long established fishing ground for fishermen of many nationalities.
Following the charts' submission, a spokesperson for the Philippines' National Maritime Council, said China's claims were baseless and illegal.
The 2016 tribunal ruled that China's claim had no basis under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and that its blockade around the Scarborough Shoal was in breach of international law.
Beijing has never recognised the decision.
Sovereignty over the Scarborough Shoal has never been established.
The Philippines and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have spent years negotiating a code of conduct with Beijing for the strategic waterway, with some nations in the bloc insisting that it be based on UNCLOS.
EEZs give the coastal nation jursidiction over living and nonliving resources in the water and on the ocean floor.
[[nid:712152]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (71528)
Related
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- 4 Indian soldiers killed and 3 wounded in an ambush by rebels in disputed Kashmir
- New Year, Better Home: Pottery Barn's End of Season Sale Has Deals up to 70% Off
- Emmanuel Macron says Gérard Depardieu 'makes France proud' amid sexual misconduct claims
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- 'Not suitable' special from 'South Park' spoofs online influencers, Logan Paul and more
- Survivor Season 45: Dee Valladares and Austin Li Coon's Relationship Status Revealed
- New York City’s teachers union sues Mayor Eric Adams over steep cuts to public schools
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Angola is leaving OPEC oil cartel after 16 years after dispute over production cuts
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- Federal judge blocks California law that would ban carrying firearms in most public places
- Dollar General robbery suspect shot by manager, crashes into bus, dies: Texas authorities
- Authorities return restored golden crosses to the domes of Kyiv’s St Sophia Cathedral
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- 4 Indian soldiers killed and 3 wounded in an ambush by rebels in disputed Kashmir
- Transfer portal king Deion Sanders again reels in top transfer recruiting class
- Israel’s military campaign in Gaza seen as among the most destructive in history, experts say
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Drive a Honda or Acura? Over 2.5 million cars are under recall due to fuel pump defect
The Czech central bank cuts key interest rate for the first time since June 2022 to help economy
Myanmar’s military should be investigated for war crimes, Amnesty International says
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Mississippi’s State Board of Education names new superintendent
Kennedy Center honoree Dionne Warwick reflects on her first standing ovation, getting a boost from Elvis and her lasting legacy
A train in Slovenia hits maintenance workers on the tracks. 2 were killed and 4 others were injured