Current:Home > MarketsDwayne Johnson makes 'historic' 7-figure donation to SAG-AFTRA amid actors strike -Capitatum
Dwayne Johnson makes 'historic' 7-figure donation to SAG-AFTRA amid actors strike
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 09:17:24
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has made a "historic" seven-figure donation to SAG-AFTRA to provide assistance to union actors on strike.
"While we cannot disclose the amount, as it is a private donation, we can confirm that it is seven figures, and it is historic for our nonprofit organization," SAG-AFTRA director of communications Caroline O'Connor tells USA TODAY in a statement Tuesday.
Johnson's donation is the largest total contribution received from an individual donor in the union's nearly 40-year history.
The wrestler-turned-actor's donation "will help thousands in urgent need who have been impacted by the SAG-AFTRA strike, and will receive emergency assistance for basic needs," O'Connor added.
Johnson has yet to comment on his donation.
Hollywood actors voted to strike earlier this month, joining already-striking writers in a move that shuts down the production of countless movies and TV shows.
"I went in in earnest, thinking we could avert the strike, so the gravity of this move is not lost on me," Screen Actors Guild president Fran Drescher said on July 13 at a news conference in Los Angeles announcing the strike.
"We had no choice. We are the victims here, being victimized by a very greedy entity," she said. "They stand on the wrong side of history. We stand in unprecedented unity. At some point the jig is up, you can't keep being marginalized and disrespected. The business model has been changed by streaming and AI. If we don’t stand tall right now, we’ll all be in jeopardy. At some point you have to say, no, we’re not going to take this anymore."
'We are the victims here':Hollywood actors strike, shutting down the film, TV industry
Hollywood writers have been on strike since May 2, holding out for improved payment contracts at a time when less-than-lucrative streaming deals are bumping up against the looming threat of artificial intelligence taking writers' jobs. Actors are also looking for better pay deals, especially from streaming services such as Netflix.
The combined SAG and Writers Guild of America strikes immediately shut down TV shows and movies currently in production; it has already delayed “Challengers, ” starring Zendaya, which had been set to debut at Venice International Film Festival but has now been pushed to 2024.
The strike terms also halt promotional appearances ranging from red carpet walks to media junkets. While the duration of the strike is an unknown, some reports suggest studios are willing to hold out into the fall to win concessions.
Writers strike 2023 explained:Why the WGA walked out, what it means for TV and film
This marks the first time in 63 years that both Hollywood actors and writers have been on strike simultaneously. Commercial actors last walked off the job for six months in 2000, while the last strike by film and theatrical actor members of SAG lasted 14 hours, back in 1986. The writers staged a 100-day walkout in 2007 and 2008.
Contributing: Kelly Lawler and Marco della Cava
veryGood! (4)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Vatican’s doctrine chief is raising eyebrows over his 1998 book that graphically describes orgasms
- Microsoft’s OpenAI investment could trigger EU merger review
- 'Sex with a Brain Injury' reveals how concussions can test relationships
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Duct-taped and beaten to death over potty training. Mom will now spend 42 years in prison.
- Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has a title, seat at the 'big person's table.' So is this goodbye?
- US Rep. Greg Pence of Indiana, former VP Mike Pence’s older brother, won’t seek reelection
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Golden Globes brings in 9.4 million viewers, an increase in ratings
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- US Rep. Greg Pence of Indiana, former VP Mike Pence’s older brother, won’t seek reelection
- Dennis Quaid Has Rare Public Outing With His and Meg Ryan's Look-Alike Son Jack Quaid
- Even Andrew Scott was startled by his vulnerability in ‘All of Us Strangers’
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Way-too-early Top 25: College football rankings for 2024 are heavy on SEC, Big Ten
- Mexican authorities find the bodies of 9 men near pipeline. Fuel theft by gangs is widespread
- Princess Kate turns 42: King Charles celebrates her birthday with rare photo
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Hottest year ever, what can be done? Plenty: more renewables and nuclear, less methane and meat
Aftermath of Sandman Signature Fort Worth Downtown Hotel explosion: See the photos
Mel Brooks, Angela Bassett to get honorary Oscars at starry, untelevised event
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Wisconsin lumber company fined nearly $300,000 for dangerous conditions after employee death
How Texas officials stymied nonprofits' efforts to help migrants they bused to northern cities
3 firefighters injured when firetruck collides with SUV, flips onto its side in southern Illinois