Current:Home > ScamsPoinbank Exchange|Ex-NFL cornerback Damon Arnette must appear in court for plea deal in felony gun case, judge says -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Ex-NFL cornerback Damon Arnette must appear in court for plea deal in felony gun case, judge says
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:04:36
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Nevada judge on Poinbank ExchangeWednesday ordered former NFL cornerback Damon Arnette to appear in person to resolve a felony gun case by pleading guilty to two misdemeanors stemming from an argument with Las Vegas Strip casino valets in January 2022.
“I’m going to need the justification for the agreement,” Clark County District Court Judge Ronald Israel told Arnette’s attorney, Ross Goodman, before rescheduling a hearing for Monday to accept the plea deal.
Goodman protested that similar deals are routinely accepted by judges without the defendant appearing in court. The attorney pointed to a document that Arnette signed last week with prosecutors calling for him to perform 50 hours of community service, pay $2,000 in fines, “forfeit firearm” and serve the equivalent of one year on probation.
Goodman added that his client was in talks with the Dallas Cowboys about a contract for the upcoming NFL season.
“I want to make sure he is absolutely clear,” Israel responded, citing video evidence of the confrontation with the valets and previous allegations involving Arnette and guns. “Yes, he is getting a misdemeanor. That’s the (district attorney’s) choice. But I want him to understand that no guns means no guns.”
Arnette, 26, was a first-round draft pick by the Las Vegas Raiders in 2020 and played in 13 games for the team before he was dropped in November 2021 amid allegations that he displayed guns and made death threats on social media. He was not charged with a crime at that time.
By admitting guilt to misdemeanors, Arnette avoids trial on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and carrying a concealed firearm, felonies that combined carry the possibility of up to 10 years in state prison.
Arnette was indicted May 12 after a grand jury in Las Vegas heard evidence that he held a .45-caliber handgun and threatened two hotel valets during an argument about a receipt for parking Arnette’s Mercedes SUV at the Park MGM.
Arnette drove away, but Las Vegas police stopped him nearby and arrested him. Officers reported finding a gun in the driver’s side door. A passenger also was arrested with a handgun, police reported, but charges against that man were dropped last year.
Following Arnette’s arrest, the Kansas City Chiefs released him from a reserve contract he had signed just days earlier.
He played college football at Ohio State and lives in Boynton Beach, Florida.
veryGood! (3972)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Jay Leno petitions to be conservator of wife Mavis' estate after her dementia diagnosis
- Last victim of Maui wildfires identified months after disaster
- 2 accused of racing held for trial in crash with school van that killed a teen and injured others
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Fact-checking Apple TV's 'Masters of the Air': What Austin Butler show gets right (and wrong)
- 14-year-old arrested for fatal shooting of 2 Wichita teens
- Travis Kelce gets the party going for Chiefs with a game for the ages
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Jay Leno petitions to be conservator of wife Mavis' estate after her dementia diagnosis
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- USA Hockey will mandate neck laceration protection for players under 18 effective Aug. 1
- China Evergrande is ordered to liquidate, with over $300 billion in debt. Here’s what that means.
- Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on Istanbul church that killed 1
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Toyota chief apologizes for cheating on testing at group company _ again
- 'American Fiction,' 'Poor Things' get box-office boost from Oscar nominations
- Chiefs' path back to Super Bowl stage looked much different than past runs
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Malaysia charges former minister for not declaring assets, as graft probe targets allies of ex-PM
Country music star Chris Young cleared of all charges after arrest in Nashville bar
Alex Murdaugh tries to prove jury tampering led to his murder conviction
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Trial to begin for men accused of killing Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
Protesting farmers tighten squeeze on France’s government with ‘siege’ of Olympic host city Paris
Shares of building materials maker Holcim jump as it plans to list unit in the US