Current:Home > ScamsEmergency services chief on Maui resigns. He faced criticism for not activating sirens during fire -Capitatum
Emergency services chief on Maui resigns. He faced criticism for not activating sirens during fire
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 08:28:35
LAHAINA, Hawaii (AP) — Outdoor alert sirens on Maui stayed silent as a ferocious fire devastated the seaside community of Lahaina last week. The head of the Maui Emergency Management Agency said he had no regrets about not deploying the system as a warning to people on the island.
A day after making that statement, Administrator Herman Andaya resigned Thursday. Andaya had said he feared blaring the sirens during the blaze could have caused people to go “mauka,” using a navigational term that can mean toward the mountains or inland in Hawaiian.
“If that was the case, then they would have gone into the fire,” Andaya explained.
But the decision not use the sirens, coupled with water shortages that hampered firefighters and an escape route that became clogged with vehicles that were overrun by flames, has brought intense criticism from many residents following the deadliest wildfire in the U.S. in more than a century. At least 111 people were killed.
Mayor Richard Bissen accepted Andaya’s resignation effective immediately, the County of Maui announced on Facebook. Andaya cited unspecified health reasons for leaving his post, with no further details provided.
“Given the gravity of the crisis we are facing, my team and I will be placing someone in this key position as quickly as possible and I look forward to making that announcement soon,” Bissen said in the statement.
The lack of sirens has emerged as a potential misstep, and The Associated Press reported that it was part of a series of communication issues that added to the chaos. Hawaii has what it touts as the largest system of outdoor alert sirens in the world.
The siren system was created after a 1946 tsunami that killed more than 150 on the Big Island, and its website says they may be used to alert for fires.
Andaya was to take part in a meeting of Maui’s fire and public safety commission on Thursday morning, but it was canceled. On Wednesday he vigorously defended his qualifications for the job, which he had held since 2017. He said he was not appointed but had been vetted, took a civil service exam and was interviewed by seasoned emergency managers.
Andaya said he had previously been deputy director of the Maui County Department of Housing and Human Concerns and had been chief of staff for former Maui County Mayor Alan Arakawa for 11 years. During that time, he said, he often reported to “emergency operations centers” and participated in numerous trainings.
“So to say that I’m not qualified I think is incorrect,” he said.
Arakawa said he was disappointed by the resignation “because now we’re out one person who is really qualified.” Arakawa said Andaya was scrutinized for the job by the county’s personnel service.
“He was trying to be strong and trying to do the job,” Arakawa said about the wildfire response. “He was very, very heartbroken about all the things that happened.”
Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez said earlier Thursday that an outside organization will conduct “an impartial, independent” review of the government’s response and officials intend “to facilitate any necessary corrective action and to advance future emergency preparedness.” The investigation will likely take months, she added.
Avery Dagupion, whose family’s home was destroyed, is among many residents who say they weren’t given earlier warning to get out.
He pointed to an announcement by Bissen on Aug. 8 saying the fire had been contained. That lulled people into a sense of safety and left him distrusting officials, Dagupion said.
At the Wednesday news conference, Gov. Josh Green and Bissen bristled when asked about such criticism.
“The people who were trying to put out these fires lived in those homes — 25 of our firefighters lost their homes,” Bissen said. “You think they were doing a halfway job?”
Displaced residents are steadily filling hotels that are prepared to house them and provide services until at least next spring.
Authorities hope to empty crowded, uncomfortable group shelters by early next week, said Brad Kieserman, vice president for disaster operations with the American Red Cross. Hotels are also available for eligible evacuees who have spent the last eight days sleeping in cars or camping in parking lots, he said.
Contracts with the hotels will last for at least seven months but could easily be extended, he said. Service providers at the properties will offer meals, counseling, financial assistance and other disaster aid.
Green has said at least 1,000 hotel rooms will be set aside. In addition, AirBnB said its nonprofit wing will provide properties for 1,000 people.
The governor has also vowed to protect local landowners from being “victimized” by opportunistic buyers. Green said Wednesday that he instructed the state attorney general to work toward a moratorium on land transactions in Lahaina, even as he acknowledged that would likely face legal challenges.
Since the flames consumed much of Lahaina just over a week ago, locals have feared that a rebuilt town could become even more oriented toward wealthy visitors.
The cause of the wildfires is under investigation. But Hawaii is increasingly at risk from disasters, with wildfire rising fastest, according to an AP analysis of FEMA records.
The search for the missing moved beyond Lahaina to other communities that were destroyed. Searchers had covered about 45% of the burned territory as of Thursday, the governor said.
Corrine Hussey Nobriga, whose home was spared, said it was hard to lay blame for a tragedy that took everyone by surprise, even if some of her neighbors raised questions about the absence of sirens and inadequate evacuation routes. The fire moved quickly through her neighborhood, not far from where crews were sifting through ash and debris looking for human remains.
“One minute we saw the fire over there,” she said, pointing toward faraway hills, “and the next minute it’s consuming all these houses.”
___
Kelleher reported from Honolulu and Weber from Los Angeles. Contributing to this report were Associated Press journalists Michael Casey in Concord, New Hampshire; Jennifer McDermott in Providence, Rhode Island; Seth Borenstein in Washington, D.C.; and Heather Hollingsworth in Kansas City, Missouri.
___
Associated Press climate and environmental coverage receives support from several private foundations. See more about AP’s climate initiative here. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (693)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Harvey Weinstein rushed from Rikers Island to hospital for emergency heart surgery
- Tom Brady is far from the GOAT in NFL broadcast debut, but he can still improve
- 'Harry Potter' HBO TV series casting children for roles of Harry, Ron, Hermione
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Dakota Johnson Thought Energy Drink Celsius Was, Um, a Vitamin—And the Result Is Chaos
- Tyreek Hill: What to know about Dolphins star after clash with Miami police
- Fewer than 400 households reject $600 million Ohio train derailment settlement
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Jana Duggar Details Picking Out “Stunning” Dress and Venue for Wedding to Stephen Wissmann
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Teen Mom's Catelynn Lowell Says She's Been Blocked by Daughter Carly's Adoptive Parents
- Fewer than 400 households reject $600 million Ohio train derailment settlement
- New Hampshire primary voters to pick candidates for short but intense general election campaigns
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Tyreek Hill’s traffic stop shows interactions with police can be about survival for Black men
- Police are questioning Florida voters about signing an abortion rights ballot petition
- Police are questioning Florida voters about signing an abortion rights ballot petition
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Why Teen Mom’s Catelynn Lowell Thinks Daughter’s Carly Adoptive Parents Feel “Threatened”
Steelers plan to start Justin Fields at QB in Week 2 as Russell Wilson deals with injury
RFK Jr. loses attempt to withdraw from Michigan ballot
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Alanis Morissette, Nia Long, Kyrie Irving celebrate 20 years of 3.1 Phillip Lim at NYFW
Where Selena Gomez Stands With BFF Taylor Swift Amid Rumors About Their Friendship
Aaron Rodgers documentary set to stream on Netflix in December