Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Erdogan lashes out at opposition for ‘exploiting’ dispute between football clubs and Saudi Arabia -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Erdogan lashes out at opposition for ‘exploiting’ dispute between football clubs and Saudi Arabia
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 10:54:23
Istanbul (AP) — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan blamed opposition parties for “exploiting” a dispute between two Turkish football clubs and Rekubit ExchangeSaudi officials.
The Turkish Super Cup final that was to be played in Saudi Arabia on Friday was postponed indefinitely after Istanbul rivals, Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, refused to take to the pitch and returned home. Hundreds of fans of both clubs arrived at Istanbul’s airports before dawn to greet and cheer them.
A joint statement by the Turkish Football Federation and the clubs on Friday cited “organizational disruptions” as the reason for the postponement, and thanked Saudi Arabia for its efforts in organizing the game.
However, media reports claimed the dispute was centered around players wearing jerseys featuring Turkey’s secularist founding father, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, and carrying a banner with his motto, “Peace at home, Peace in the world.” 2023 is the centennial of the proclamation of modern Turkey by Ataturk, and both clubs had earlier pressed for the game to be played on home soil rather than Saudi Arabia.
Earlier, media reports had claimed Turkey’s national anthem would not be played and Turkish flags would not be allowed in the stadium, but Turkish officials denied those claims.
The dispute became a hot-button issue over the weekend and featured extensively on opposition media outlets. However pro-government media outlets, as well as the clubs, the football federation and Turkish politicians remained mostly quiet on the subject.
Turkey’s conservative president broke his silence late Saturday night during an awards ceremony.
“We wish for Turkish sports, especially football, to become a topic not of disputes, but of successes. Turning sports into a topic of daily political rivalry is wrong and serves no benefit to our sports,” he said.
“We see that the statements made by opposition parties since last night are just the latest examples of political exploitation,” he added.
Saudi Arabia has moved in recent years to stage international games and tournaments ahead of the men’s World Cup it is all but certain to host in 2034. Spain and Italy are set to stage their Super Cups there in January.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (6382)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Iowa students to stage walkout to state capitol in wake of school shooting: 'Need to utilize this energy'
- California sets a special election for US House seat left vacant by exit of former Speaker McCarthy
- How an animated character named Marlon could help Trump win Iowa’s caucuses
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- St. Croix reports island-wide power outage forcing officials to close schools and offices
- Travis Barker Reveals Strict But Not Strict Rules for Daughter Alabama Barker’s Dating Life
- Argentines ask folk cowboy saint Gauchito Gil to help cope with galloping inflation
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Taiwan presidential candidate Lai says he is willing to reopen talks with China
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- BottleRock Napa Valley 2024 lineup: Stevie Nicks, Ed Sheeran among headliners
- Worker killed in Long Island after being buried while working on septic system
- Reese Witherspoon Deserves an Award for This Golden Update on Big Little Lies Season 3
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Time to give CDs a spin? Certificate of deposit interest rates are highest in years
- Montana governor, first lady buy mansion for $4M for governor’s residence, will donate it to state
- Chicago woman pleads guilty, to testify against own mother accused of cutting baby from teen’s womb
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
MSNBC’s Mehdi Hasan quits rather than accept demotion at news network
J.J. McCarthy 'uncomfortable' with Jim Harbaugh calling him the greatest MIchigan quarterback
Sterling K. Brown recommends taking it 'moment to moment,' on screen and in life
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Volunteer search group finds 3 bodies in car submerged in South Florida retention pond
Get $174 Worth of Beauty Products for $25— Peter Thomas Roth, Sunday Riley, Clinique, and More
Trump asks Maine judge for pause to let US Supreme Court rule on ballot access