Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:DOJ paying nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse in settlement -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:DOJ paying nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse in settlement
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:19:01
The Indexbit ExchangeDepartment of Justice announced Tuesday that it will pay nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse as part of a settlement stemming from the FBI's mishandling of the initial allegations.
USA TODAY Sports and The Wall Street Journal first reported last week that a settlement had been agreed upon and would stretch into nine figures. The Department of Justice specified in a news release that an amount of $138.7 million will be distributed to a group of 139 victims − working out to roughly $1 million per claimant, on average.
"These allegations should have been taken seriously from the outset," acting associate attorney general Benjamin Mizer said in a statement. "While these settlements won’t undo the harm Nassar inflicted, our hope is that they will help give the victims of his crimes some of the critical support they need to continue healing."
Olympic champions Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman were among the more than 100 victims who filed claims with the Department of Justice in 2022, roughly a year after the release of a report by the department's inspector general. The report found that FBI officials in Indianapolis failed to respond to allegations of abuse they received involving Nassar "with the utmost seriousness and urgency" in 2015, a delay that allowed the abuse to continue.
Nassar, the former U.S. women's national gymnastics team doctor and Michigan State employee, was found to have sexually assaulted more than 500 women and girls under the guise of providing medical treatment. He is now serving what will amount to a lifetime prison sentence on sexual assault and child pornography charges.
The victims who filed administrative claims with the Justice Department are represented by a large, disparate group of attorneys. But four of those attorneys, who represent 77 of the 139 claimants, described the settlement in a statement Tuesday as "monumental."
"We are proud to have achieved a monumental settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, that not only secures the recovery the survivors deserve but also holds the DOJ and FBI accountable for their failures," Thomas Behm, Megan Bonanni, Mick Grewal and Michael Pitt said in a joint statement.
"We hope this serves as a lesson for federal law enforcement and they make the changes necessary to prevent anything like this from happening again."
Tuesday's settlement brings the combined liability payouts in legal cases brought by victims of Nassar's abuse to more than $1 billion. Michigan State agreed to distribute $500 million to survivors, while USA Gymnastics reached a separate settlement with them worth $380 million.
Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on social media @Tom_Schad.
veryGood! (1977)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Halloween weekend shootings across US leave at least 11 dead, scores injured
- Veterans are more likely than most to kill themselves with guns. Families want to keep them safe.
- Indonesian police arrest 59 suspected militants over an alleged plot to disrupt 2024 elections
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Ex-North Dakota lawmaker charged with traveling to Czech Republic for sex with minor
- Florida school district agrees to improve instruction for students who don’t speak English
- Pasadena police investigate report of missing items from Colorado locker room following UCLA game
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Visitors will be allowed in Florence chapel’s secret room to ponder if drawings are Michelangelo’s
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Collagen powder is popular, but does it work?
- How UAW contracts changed with new Ford, GM and Stellantis deals
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner Are a Sugar and Spice Duo in Risqué Halloween Costumes
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- NFL demands Houston Cougars stop wearing Oilers inspired uniforms, per report
- Israeli forces battle Hamas around Gaza City, as military says 800,000 have fled south
- 5 Things podcast: Israel expands its Gaza incursion, Maine shooting suspect found dead
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Iranian teen Armita Geravand, allegedly assaulted by police for flouting strict dress code, has died
An Alaska State Trooper fatally shoots a man seen brandishing a rifle outside motel, authorities say
Judge orders federal agents to stop cutting Texas razor wire for now at busy Mexico border crossing
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
'Remain calm:' Jamaica prime minister urges citizens to follow safety guidance after quake
China’s forces shadow a Philippine navy ship near disputed shoal, sparking new exchange of warnings
Zacha wins it in OT as Bruins rally from 2-goal deficit to beat Panthers 3-2