Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:‘No risk’ that NATO member Romania will be dragged into war, senior alliance official says -Capitatum
Charles Langston:‘No risk’ that NATO member Romania will be dragged into war, senior alliance official says
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 01:32:27
BUCHAREST,Charles Langston Romania (AP) — NATO Deputy-General Secretary Mircea Geoana said on Monday there is “no risk” that Alliance member Romania will be dragged into a war following the recent discovery of drone fragments on its territory near the border with war-torn Ukraine.
“The most important thing is to re-confirm the fact that there is no indication of a deliberate action (by Russia) to strike Romanian territory and therefore NATO territory,” Geoana told journalists during a visit to a school near Romania’s capital, Bucharest.
The NATO deputy chief’s comments come days after Romanian authorities have twice confirmed the discovery of drone fragments on the country’s soil amid sustained attacks by Russian forces on Ukraine’s Danube River ports across the river from NATO member Romania.
But the proximity of Russia’s attacks on the other side of the Danube has left Romanian citizens living nearby fearing that the war could spill into their country.
“When you hear the sounds of war a few hundred meters from your home, from the place you work, it will generate emotion and anxiety,” said Geoana, a former Romanian foreign minister and ambassador to the U.S. “But there is no risk for Romania to be engaged in this conflict.”
After the second discovery of drone fragments on Saturday, Romanian President Klaus Iohannis responded by saying they were “similar to those used by the Russian army” and that the incident indicates there has been “an absolutely unacceptable violation of the sovereign airspace of Romania, a NATO ally, with real risks to the security of Romanian citizens in the area.”
“I want to reassure the Romanian public and especially those on the Danube border with Ukraine that there are no reasons to worry,” Geoana said, adding that he intends to visit those Danube areas. “Perhaps my presence will be a message of confidence and calm.”
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said last week that the allies had seen “other incidents, in Poland and elsewhere,” but did not elaborate. Under NATO’s Article 5 collective security guarantee, the 31 member nations pledge to all come to the aid of any member should it come under attack. At the same time, NATO is wary of being dragged into a wider war with Russia by any minor incident or mistake.
Referring to a NATO summit held in July in Lithuania’s capital of Vilnius, Geoana said NATO leaders have designed a new generation of defense plans “for exactly this type of situation, or even worse, for cases of deliberate attacks” which he said are tailored for the region.
Geoana also said he welcomes plans by the United States to supplement the Alliance’s air policing of the Black Sea region as well as adding more NATO troops to the 5,000 already based in Romania. “This should reassure us and give us a lot of confidence and calm,” he said.
After Russia launched its full-scale invasion against Ukraine in February last year, NATO bolstered its presence on Europe’s eastern flank, including by sending additional battlegroups to Romania, Bulgaria, and Slovakia.
“Imagine what would have happened if we were not a NATO member state,” Geoana added. “We belong to the strongest alliance in the history of humanity.”
___
McGrath reported from Sighisoara, Romania. AP journalist Lorne Cook contributed from Brussels.
veryGood! (4234)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- A UN court is ruling on request to order Venezuela to halt part of a referendum on a disputed region
- Police raid Moscow gay bars after a Supreme Court ruling labeled LGBTQ+ movement ‘extremist’
- How to share Wi-Fi passwords easily from iPhone, other devices
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Trump and DeSantis will hold dueling campaign events in Iowa with the caucuses just six weeks away
- George Santos expelled from Congress in historic House vote
- The Taliban’s new ambassador to China arrives in Beijing as they court foreign investment
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Lifetime's 'Ladies of the '80s: A Divas Christmas' has decadence, drama, an epic food fight
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Dolphins WR Tyreek Hill says he'll cover the salary of videographer suspended by NFL
- Israeli military speaks to Bibas family after Hamas claims mom, 2 kids killed in strikes
- US Navy plans to raise jet plane off Hawaii coral reef using inflatable cylinders
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Opponents gave input on ballot language for abortion-rights measure, Ohio elections chief says
- Traumatized by war, fleeing to US: Jewish day schools take in hundreds of Israeli students
- Katie Ledecky loses a home 400-meter freestyle race for the first time in 11 years
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Macaulay Culkin and Brenda Song's Sons Make First Public Appearance at Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony
70-year-old Ugandan woman gives birth to twins after fertility treatment
Social media posts Trump claimed were made by judge's wife were not made by her, court says
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
New California mental health court sees more than 100 petitions in first two months
102-year-old toy inventor, star of 'Eddy’s World' documentary, attributes longevity to this
Blue over ‘G0BLUE': University of Michigan grad sues after losing license plate