Current:Home > MyUS not ruling out retaliation against Iran-backed groups after attacks on soldiers -Capitatum
US not ruling out retaliation against Iran-backed groups after attacks on soldiers
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 08:31:41
The U.S. retains the ability to defend itself and hasn't ruled out retaliatory operations after the Pentagon said American forces were attacked by Iran-backed militants at least 13 times in the Middle East in the last week, President Joe Biden said Wednesday.
"My warning to the ayatollah [is] that if they continue to move against those troops, we will respond, and he should be prepared," Biden told reporters, referring to Iran's supreme leader.
Pentagon officials have echoed that.
"We will always maintain the inherent right of self-defense. And if there is a response, should we choose to have one, we would do that at a time and place of our choosing," Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder told reporters on Tuesday.
"We are preparing for this escalation both in terms of defending our forces and responding decisively," he said.
There is precedent for a potential military response: In recent years the U.S. has conducted retaliatory airstrikes targeting Iran-backed groups in Iraq following previous attacks on U.S. military bases.
Tensions have been rising in the Middle East in the wake of a Hamas terror attack on Israel on Oct. 7 which killed more than 1,400 people, according to Israeli officials.
Israel subsequently launched a war on Hamas in Gaza, the neighboring Palestinian territory controlled by the extremist group. More than 6,500 people have since been killed in Gaza, according to the Gaza Health Ministry that is run by Hamas. ABC News has not independently confirmed this casualty figure.
Leaders from Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, another Palestinian militant group, and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah -- all of whom, the U.S. says, are sponsored by Iran -- reportedly met in Beirut on Wednesday.
Amid the unfolding conflict, the U.S. has surged military assets to the Middle East both in support of Israel's response to Hamas and as a deterrent to other countries, like Iran and their proxies, becoming involved, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said on Sunday on ABC's "This Week."
"We're concerned about potential escalation. In fact, what we're seeing is the prospect of a significant escalation of attacks on our troops and our people throughout the region," Austin told "This Week" co-anchor Jonathan Karl.
One of the American warships, the USS Carney, last week shot down multiple missiles and drones as they crossed the Red Sea after being launched by Iran-backed Houthis from Yemen, the Pentagon has said.
Ryder said on Wednesday that the missiles had the capability of reaching Israel, though the U.S. hasn't concluded who the target was.
Two U.S. officials told ABC News around 20 service members have sustained minor injuries, such as cuts and tinnitus, in the 13 attacks by the Iran-sponsored militias in Iraq and Syria since Oct. 17.
The attacks have included one-way drone assaults and rocket launches, according to the Pentagon. In the U.S. view, Iran bears responsibility because they have funded and supplied these militias, Ryder said Tuesday.
Ahead of any potential retaliatory moves, the U.S. has also sought to tamp down fears that the Israel-Hamas war could spiral out in the Middle East -- in the kind of escalation not seen there in decades.
"The United States does not seek conflict with Iran. We do not want this war to widen," Secretary of State Antony Blinken said at a meeting of the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday. "But if Iran or its proxies attack U.S. personnel anywhere, make no mistake: We will defend our people, we will defend our security -- swiftly and decisively."
ABC News' Matt Seyler contributed to this report.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- At least four people stabbed at Louisiana Tech University in Ruston; suspect in custody
- Donald Trump hung up on Kim Kardashian as she sought his endorsement for clemency plea, book says
- Starting holiday shopping early? Use Amazon's Buy with Prime to score benefits.
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Wisconsin state Senate to vote on downsized Milwaukee Brewers stadium repair bill
- Fire that indefinitely closed vital Los Angeles freeway was likely arson, governor says
- Travis Kelce Gets the Ultimate Stamp of Approval From Taylor Swift’s BFF Abigail
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Ford opens exclusive Bronco Off-Roadeo courses to non-owners for first time
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- The Excerpt podcast: Republicans face party turmoil, snow's impact on water in the West
- Arby's debuts new meal inspired by 'Good Burger 2' ahead of movie's release on Paramount+
- D.J. Hayden, former NFL cornerback, dies in car accident that killed 5 others, university says
- Average rate on 30
- Biden’s initial confidence on Israel gives way to the complexities and casualties of a brutal war
- Have you caught a cold? Here's how long you will be contagious.
- 6 dead after semi crashes into bus carrying students on Ohio highway
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Columbia will set up fund for victims of doctor convicted of sex crimes, notify 6,500 patients
Why do nurses suffer from burnout? Forced overtime, understaffing and workplace violence.
Jill Biden tells National Student Poets that poetry feeds a hungry human spirit
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Patrick Mahomes confirms he has worn the same pair of underwear to every single game of his NFL career
When a staple becomes a luxury
Texas A&M needs a Jimbo Fisher replacement. These coaches are the five best options