Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:US military may put armed troops on commercial ships in Strait of Hormuz to stop Iran seizures -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:US military may put armed troops on commercial ships in Strait of Hormuz to stop Iran seizures
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:02:24
DUBAI,Johnathan Walker United Arab Emirates (AP) — The U.S. military is considering putting armed personnel on commercial ships traveling through the Strait of Hormuz, in what would be an unheard of action aimed at stopping Iran from seizing and harassing civilian vessels, four American officials told The Associated Press on Thursday.
Since 2019, Iran has seized a series of ships in the strait, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf, as part of its efforts to pressure the West over negotiations regarding its collapsed nuclear deal with world powers. Putting U.S. troops on commercial ships could further deter Iran from seizing vessels — or escalate tensions further.
The contemplated move also would represent an extraordinary commitment in the Mideast by U.S. forces as the Pentagon tries to focus on Russia and China. America didn’t even take the step during the so-called “Tanker War,” which culminated with the U.S. Navy and Iran fighting a one-day naval battle in 1988 that was the Navy’s largest since World War II.
While officials offered few details of the plan, it comes as thousands of Marines and sailors on both the amphibious assault ship USS Bataan and the USS Carter Hall, a landing ship, are on their way to the Persian Gulf. Those Marines and sailors could provide the backbone for any armed guard mission in the strait, through which 20% of all the world’s crude oil passes.
Iran’s mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the AP about the U.S. proposal.
Four U.S. officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the proposal, acknowledged its broad details. The officials stressed no final decision had been made and that discussions continue between U.S. military officials and America’s Gulf Arab allies in the region.
Officials said the Marines and Navy sailors would provide the security only at the request of the ships involved.
Earlier Thursday, Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, the head of the Navy’s Mideast-based 5th Fleet, met with the head of the Gulf Cooperation Council. The six-nation bloc includes Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
While a statement from the GCC about the meeting did not hint at the proposal, it did say that Cooper and officials discussed “strengthening GCC-U.S. cooperation and working with international and regional partners.”
The Bataan and Carter Hall left Norfolk, Virginia, on July 10 on a mission the Pentagon described as being “in response to recent attempts by Iran to threaten the free flow of commerce in the Strait of Hormuz and its surrounding waters.” The Bataan passed through the Strait of Gibraltar into the Mediterranean Sea last week on its way to the Mideast.
Already, the U.S. has sent A-10 Thunderbolt II warplanes, F-16 and F-35 fighters, as well as the destroyer USS Thomas Hudner, to the region over Iran’s actions at sea.
The deployment has captured Iran’s attention, with its chief diplomat telling neighboring nations that the region doesn’t need “foreigners” providing security. On Wednesday, Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard launched a surprise military drill on disputed islands in the Persian Gulf, with swarms of small fast boats, paratroopers and missile units taking part.
The renewed hostilities come as Iran now enriches uranium closer than ever to weapons-grade levels after the collapse of its 2015 nuclear deal. International inspectors also believe it has enough enriched uranium for “several” nuclear bombs if it chose to build them. Iran maintains its program is for peaceful purposes, and U.S. intelligence agencies assess Tehran is not pursuing an atomic bomb.
The U.S. also has pursued ships across the world believed to be carrying sanctioned Iranian oil. Oil industry worries over another seizure by Iran likely has left a ship allegedly carrying Iranian oil stranded off Texas as no company has yet to unload it.
___
Baldor reported from Washington.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- A 4-month-old survived after a Tennessee tornado tossed him. His parents found him in a downed tree
- International court rules against Guatemala in landmark Indigenous and environmental rights case
- Rain, gusty winds bring weekend washout to Florida before system heads up East Coast
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Family hopeful after FBI exhumes body from unsolved 1969 killing featured in Netflix’s ‘The Keepers’
- Ben Napier still courts wife Erin: 'I wake up and I want her to fall in love with me'
- Ja Morant feels 'guilt' over Grizzlies record in first public comments since suspension
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- US homelessness up 12% to highest reported level as rents soar and coronavirus pandemic aid lapses
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Federal judge denies cattle industry’s request to temporarily halt wolf reintroduction in Colorado
- Strongest solar flare in years could create awesome northern lights display: What to know
- Federal Reserve on cusp of what some thought impossible: Defeating inflation without steep recession
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Cher has choice words for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame after snub
- Michigan State reaches settlements with families of students slain in mass shooting
- Raiders vs. Chargers Thursday Night Football highlights: Las Vegas sets franchise record for points
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
The U.S. hasn't dodged a recession (yet). But these signs point to a soft landing.
Drastic border restrictions considered by Biden and the Senate reflect seismic political shift on immigration
King Charles pays light-hearted tribute to comedian Barry Humphries at Sydney memorial service
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Meet an artist teasing stunning art from the spaghetti on a plate of old maps
A cat-astrophe? Cats eat over 2,000 species worldwide, study finds
Cambodia welcomes the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s plan to return looted antiquities