Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Probe finds carelessness caused Jewish student group’s omission from New Jersey high school yearbook -Capitatum
Robert Brown|Probe finds carelessness caused Jewish student group’s omission from New Jersey high school yearbook
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:36:48
An investigation into how and Robert Brownwhy a Jewish student group was erased from a New Jersey high school yearbook found the omission was caused by negligence and carelessness, but was not done on purpose or out of malice, the school district announced Wednesday.
East Brunswick Public Schools hired a law firm to investigate after the situation came to light earlier this month and caused an uproar. A photo of a group of Muslim students appeared in the spot reserved for the Jewish Student Union, and the names of the Jewish group’s members were omitted from the page.
It was the yearbook advisor who placed the incorrect photo on the page, the probe concluded. The advisor said she was rushing to finish production and mistakenly grabbed the wrong photo from a computer folder that stored yearbook images for the Coptic Club, the Muslim Student Association and the Jewish Student Union. The advisor also said it was “too late” to ask for a roster of Jewish Student Union members for inclusion, according to the probe’s written findings.
“I conclude that the use of the incorrect photograph was not purposeful, but rather was a highly unfortunate error,” Yaacov Brisman of Brisman Law, who conducted the probe, said in the report. “I have no basis to find that she acted out of any animus, racial, religious, or political, towards Jewish or Muslim students.”
Brisman said the educator “was at best careless, but her actions can also be considered negligent,” and that she should have “exercised greater attention to detail” and shown more sensitivity. The report suggested an overhaul of the yearbook production process but did not make a recommendation on discipline.
The district said Wednesday it plans more oversight over the yearbook production and review process and that it will also launch a “tolerance training program” next school year.
“While I’m grateful that the results of this investigation show that these actions were serious mistakes without malice, we must now focus on repairing the deep hurt and division that has been created in our school and community,” said East Brunswick Schools Superintendent Victor Valeski. “We will make sure that there is accountability for the mistakes that were made.”
East Brunswick’s mayor had called the yearbook omission a “blatant Anti-Semitic act” and said the probe should consider whether it was a hate crime worthy of prosecution. The New Jersey office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations had called for a “transparent and fair investigation” and said the yearbook incident had triggered “heinous backlash” against Muslim students.
Messages were sent to East Brunswick Mayor Brad Cohen and CAIR seeking comment on the results of the probe.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- The stuff that Coppola’s dreams are made of: The director on building ‘Megalopolis’
- North Korea continues spate of weapons tests, firing multiple suspected short-range ballistic missiles, South says
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Are Living Apart Amid Breakup Rumors
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott gave few pardons before rushing to clear Army officer who killed a protester
- Judge dismisses lawsuit by Georgia court candidate who sued to keep talking about abortion
- Bike shops boomed early in the pandemic. It’s been a bumpy ride for most ever since
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Reds phenom Elly De La Cruz could rewrite MLB record books: 'A freak of nature'
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Former top Baltimore prosecutor applies for presidential pardon
- Chicago Tribune staffers’ unequal pay lawsuit claims race and sex discrimination
- Israel-Hamas war protesters temporarily take over building on University of Chicago campus
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Are Living Apart Amid Breakup Rumors
- Montana’s attorney general said he recruited token primary opponent to increase campaign fundraising
- Potential signature fraud in Michigan threatens to disrupt congressional races
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Where Is the Parenthood Cast Now?
U.S. governors urge Turks and Caicos to release Americans as Florida woman becomes 5th tourist arrested for ammo in luggage
West Virginia governor calls special session for school funding amid FAFSA issues, other proposals
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Nicola Coughlan on what makes that 'Bridgerton' carriage scene special: 'It's sexy'
Officials identify 78-year-old man as driver in Florida boating accident that killed teen
Elevate Your Ensemble with Lululemon’s We Made Too Much Section – Align Leggings for $39 & More