Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:South Korean court overturns impeachment of government minister ousted over deadly crowd crush -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:South Korean court overturns impeachment of government minister ousted over deadly crowd crush
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:52:45
SEOUL,Johnathan Walker South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s Constitutional Court on Tuesday overturned the impeachment of the public safety minister ousted over a Halloween crowd surge that killed nearly 160 people last October at a nightlife district in the capital, Seoul.
The court’s decision allows Lee Sang-min to return as the minister of the interior and safety. Vice Minister Han Chang-seob has served as acting minister since February when South Korea’s opposition-controlled parliament voted to impeach Lee, saying he should be held responsible for the government’s failure to employ effective crowd control measures and its botched emergency response, which contributed to the high death toll in Itaewon.
Lee, 58, is seen as a key ally of conservative President Yoon Suk Yeol, whose office welcomed the decision and had accused the opposition liberals of creating “shameful history” by pushing for his impeachment.
Other news Cancer survivor Caicedo scores in Colombia’s 2-0 win over South Korea at the Women’s World Cup Cancer survivor Linda Caicedo has scored on her debut at the Women’s World Cup as Colombia beat South Korea 2-0. Morocco shifts focus to next game after a big loss in its Women’s World Cup debut Morocco’s debut game at the Women’s World Cup ended in a 6-0 loss to two-time champion Germany in what head coach Reynald Pedros described as a “David versus Goliath” contest. Cancer survivor Caicedo, 18, set to make her Women’s World Cup debut for Colombia against Koreans Colombia’s star forward Linda Caicedo survived an ovarian cancer diagnosis at 15 and now she’s ready to make her Women’s World Cup debut against South Korea. North Korea fires 2 short-range ballistic missiles after US submarine arrives in South Korea South Korea’s military says North Korea has fired two short-range ballistic missile into its eastern sea, adding to a recent streak in weapons testing.In rejecting the parliamentary impeachment of Lee, the court said he could not be held chiefly responsible for the crowd crush, which it said reflected broader failures across different government organizations to “develop a combined ability to respond to large-scale disasters.”
There’s not enough evidence to prove that Lee failed to carry out his legal and constitutional duties as a government official to protect the safety and lives of citizens, the court said.
Lee was the first Cabinet minister impeached by the National Assembly, which previously impeached conservative President Park Geun-hye in 2016. The Constitutional Court formally removed Park from office in March 2017 by upholding lawmakers’ decision to impeach her. She was imprisoned for corruption before her liberal successor, Moon Jae-in, pardoned her in December 2021.
Following a 74-day investigation into the crowd crush in January, a special investigation team led by the National Police Agency concluded that police and municipal officials in Seoul’s Yongsan district failed to plan out effective crowd control measures despite correctly anticipating huge crowds of Halloween revelers in Itaewon.
Police also ignored hotline calls placed by pedestrians who warned of swelling crowds before the surge turned deadly on Oct. 28. Officials also botched their response before people began getting toppled over and crushed in a narrow alley near Hamilton Hotel and failed to establish control of the scene and allow paramedics to reach the injured in time, according to the investigation.
Police have pursued criminal charges, including involuntary manslaughter and negligence, against 23 officials — about half of them law enforcement officers — over the lack of crowd controls and safety measures in Itaewon.
But critics, including opposition politicians and families of the victims, have claimed that police investigators went soft on the higher members of Yoon’s government, including Lee and National Policy Agency Commissioner General Yoon Hee-keun, who had faced calls to resign.
Despite anticipating a crowd of more than 100,000, Seoul police had assigned 137 officers to Itaewon on the day of the crush. Some experts have called the crush in Itaewon a “manmade disaster” that could have been prevented with fairly simple steps, such as employing more police and public workers to monitor bottleneck points, enforcing one-way walk lanes and blocking narrow pathways.
Lee faced huge criticism shortly after the crowd crush after he insisted that having more police and emergency personnel on the ground still wouldn’t have prevented the tragedy in Itaewon, in what was seen as an attempt to sidestep questions about the lack of preventive measures.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Slain journalist allegedly shot by 19-year-old he was trying to help: Police
- Mike Lindell and MyPillow's attorneys want to drop them for millions in unpaid fees
- EU summit to look at changes the bloc needs to make to welcome Ukraine, others as new members
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- French judges file charges against ex-President Nicolas Sarkozy in a case linked to Libya
- Slain journalist allegedly shot by 19-year-old he was trying to help: Police
- Louisiana Republicans are in court to fight efforts to establish new Black congressional district
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Ranking MLB's eight remaining playoff teams: Who's got the best World Series shot?
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Dick Butkus, Hall of Fame linebacker and Chicago Bears and NFL icon, dies at 80
- Jailed Iranian activist Narges Mohammadi wins Nobel Peace Prize
- An aid group says artillery fire killed 11 and injured 90 in a Sudanese city
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Tom Brady Says He Has “a Lot of Drama” in His Life During Conversation on Self-Awareness
- Karol G honored for her philanthropy at Billboard Latin Music Awards with Spirit of Hope Award
- Prosecutor won’t seek charges against troopers in killing of ‘Cop City’ activist near Atlanta
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
See How Travis Kelce's Mom Is Tackling Questions About His and Taylor Swift's Relationship Status
Biden says a meeting with Xi on sidelines of November APEC summit in San Francisco is a possibility
Mortgage rates haven't been this high since 2000
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Sarah Jessica Parker Proves She's Carrie Bradshaw IRL With Mismatched Shoes and Ribboncore Look
Vermont police launch manhunt for 'armed and dangerous' suspect after woman found dead
Ex-lover of Spain’s former king loses $153 million harassment lawsuit in London court