Current:Home > MyEthermac|1 wounded in shooting at protest over New Mexico statue of Spanish conquistador -Capitatum
Ethermac|1 wounded in shooting at protest over New Mexico statue of Spanish conquistador
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 15:20:13
A protester was wounded in a shooting during a demonstration against a plan to redisplay a statue of a controversial Spanish conquistador in the New Mexico city of Española on EthermacThursday, authorities said. A suspect has been arrested.
The shooting occurred a little before 12:30 p.m. local time in front of the county's offices, where the statue of Spanish conquistador Juan de Oñate was to have been displayed before the county reversed course the night before, Rio Arriba County Sheriff Billy Merrifield said in a news briefing.
A large crowd of protesters had gathered outside the location, and the shooting stemmed from an altercation between them, a sheriff's office spokesperson told CBS News.
The male victim was shot in the upper torso and was taken to a local hospital. His condition was unknown, the sheriff's spokesperson said.
The sheriff's spokesperson identified the suspect as 23-year-old Ryan Martinez. The exact circumstances that precipitated the shooting were unclear.
The suspected gunman had been told by police to leave after arguing with protestors and using obscene language, the Associated Press reported.
In a cell phone video posted to social media and provided to CBS News, the suspect can be seen returning to the site of the protest and jumping a short wall, where he's confronted by several demonstrators who attempt to grab him. He breaks free, jumps back over the wall, produces a handgun, and fires a single shot into a group of people.
The video shows him then fleeing on foot across the parking lot as a few witnesses appear to try to chase him down. Deputies are seen arriving within minutes.
Merrifield told reporters that the Oñate statue had previously been removed from a different location in 2020. However, Rio Arriba County commissioners recently decided to relocate and redisplay the statue at the county's Española annex, and a rededication ceremony had been scheduled for Thursday.
The sheriff said he submitted a letter to the county commissioners last week "advising them of my concerns," and informing them that he "disagreed with" their decision to move the statue "at the current time."
"More importantly, just to prevent any safety issues, concerns, that we knew we were going to have," Merrifield added. "And obviously we have a situation as of today."
Merrifield said two of the three commissioners agreed to cancel the ceremony following his letter. The sheriff's spokesperson said commissioners made the decision not to go forward with the ceremony late Wednesday night.
"I'm very grateful for that, and they made the decision to not do it, with all the safety concerns that have risen from this," Merrifield told reporters.
Española is located about 25 miles north of Santa Fe. New Mexico State Police, which is leading the investigation into the shooting, did not immediately reply to a CBS News request for comment.
In June 2020, another man was shot while protesters in Albuquerque, New Mexico, were attempting to tear down a different Oñate statue.
Oñate was a Spanish explorer who colonized New Mexico for Spain in the 16th and 17th centuries and served as the region's governor. He was known for his brutality against indigenous people and settlers, and his statues have sparked criticism and controversy.
- In:
- New Mexico
- Shooting
- Protest
veryGood! (24712)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Good karma: Washington man saves trapped kitten, wins $717,500 from state lottery
- Lionel Messi, Inter Miami face New York Red Bulls in MLS game: How to watch
- UAW members practice picketing: As deadline nears, autoworkers are 'ready to strike'
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- New Mexico governor demands changes to make horse racing drug-free
- 38 rolls of duct tape, 100s of hours: Student's sticky scholarship entry makes fashion archive
- Deaths of 5 people found inside an Ohio home being investigated as a domestic dispute turned bad
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Cowboys acquiring QB Trey Lance in trade with 49ers
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Suspect on motorbike dies after NYPD sergeant throws cooler at him; officer suspended
- Fire breaks out at Louisiana refinery; no injuries reported
- Much of Florida under state of emergency as possible tropical storm forms in Gulf of Mexico
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- These Reusable Pee Pads for Dogs Look Like Area Rugs and They're Machine-Washable
- Best Buy scam alert! People are pretending to be members of the Geek Squad. How to spot it.
- Police arrest a 4th teen in a drive-by shooting that killed a 5-year-old Albuquerque girl
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
New Mexico governor demands changes to make horse racing drug-free
Age requirement for Uber drivers raised to 25 in this state. Can you guess which one?
Andrew Hudson runs race with blurry vision after cart crash at world championships
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
White man convicted of killing Black Muslim freed after judge orders new trial
San Diego Padres reliever Robert Suárez suspended for 10 games using banned sticky stuff
Simone Biles should be judged on what she can do, not what other gymnasts can't