Current:Home > StocksMichigan’s top court won’t revive Flint water charges against 7 key figures -Capitatum
Michigan’s top court won’t revive Flint water charges against 7 key figures
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:08:20
DETROIT (AP) — The Michigan Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected a last-chance effort to revive criminal charges against seven people in the Flint water scandal, waving away an appeal by prosecutors who have desperately tried to get around a 2022 decision that gutted the cases.
The attorney general’s office used an uncommon tool — a one-judge grand jury — to hear evidence and return indictments against nine people, including former Gov. Rick Snyder. But the Supreme Court last year said the process was unconstitutional, and it struck down the charges as invalid.
State prosecutors, however, were undeterred. They returned to Flint courts and argued the charges could be easily revived with a simple refiling of documents. That position was repeatedly rejected all the way to the state’s highest court.
“We are not persuaded that the question presented should be reviewed by this court,” the Supreme Court said in a series of one-sentence orders Wednesday.
There was no immediate response to an email seeking comment from the attorney general’s office.
Orders were filed in cases against former state health director Nick Lyon, former state medical executive Eden Wells and five other people.
Snyder was charged with willful neglect of duty, a misdemeanor. The indictment against him has been dismissed, too, though the Supreme Court did not address an appeal by prosecutors Wednesday only because it was on a different timetable.
Managers appointed by Snyder turned the Flint River into a source for Flint city water in 2014, but the water wasn’t treated to reduce its corrosive impact on old pipes. As a result, lead contaminated the system for 18 months.
Lyon and Wells were charged with involuntary manslaughter. Some experts have attributed a fatal Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in 2014-15 to the water switch. They were accused of not timely warning the public.
Indictments were also thrown out against Snyder’s former chief of staff, Jarrod Agen; another key aide, Rich Baird; former Flint Managers Gerald Ambrose and Darnell Earley; former city Public Works Director Howard Croft; and former health official Nancy Peeler.
Snyder acknowledged that state government botched the water switch, especially regulators who didn’t require certain treatments. But his lawyers deny his conduct rose to the level of any crime.
Prosecutors could try to start from scratch. But any effort to file charges in a more traditional way against some of the targets now could get tripped up by Michigan’s six-year statute of limitations.
Since 2016, the attorney general’s office, under a Republican and now a Democrat, has tried to hold people criminally responsible for Flint’s water disaster, but there have been no felony convictions or jail sentences. Seven people pleaded no contest to misdemeanors that were later scrubbed from their records.
___
Follow Ed White at http://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (74)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Where Kristin Cavallari and Bobby Flay Stand After He Confessed to Sliding Into Her DMs
- Watch wild moment raccoon falls from ceiling in LaGuardia Airport terminal
- 12 Holiday Gift Ideas for Your Bestie Ahead of Christmas & Hanukkah 2024
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Mayor wins 2-week write-in campaign to succeed Kentucky lawmaker who died
- Get $147 Worth of Salon-Quality Hair Products for $50: Moroccanoil, Oribe, Unite, Olaplex & More
- Text of the policy statement the Federal Reserve released Thursday
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Kourtney Kardashian Shows Son Rocky Barker Bonding With Travis Barker in New Photo
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Union official says a Philadelphia mass transit strike could be imminent without a new contract
- When was Mike Tyson's first fight? What to know about legend's start in boxing
- 2 people charged with stealing items from historic site inside Canyonlands National Park
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- AI DataMind: The Rise of SW Alliance
- Every Time Cynthia Erivo and Ariana Grande Channeled Their Wicked Characters in Real Life
- Gateway Church removes elders, aiding criminal investigation: 'We denounce sexual abuse'
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Democratic incumbent Don Davis wins reelection in North Carolina’s only toss-up congressional race
No tail? Video shows alligator with stump wandering through Florida neighborhood
'They are family': California girl wins $300,000 settlement after pet goat seized, killed
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Mississippi man dies after being 'buried under hot asphalt' while repairing dump truck
Giuliani to appear in a NYC court after missing a deadline to surrender assets
43 monkeys escape from a South Carolina medical lab. Police say there is no serious danger