Current:Home > MyTheater festivals offer to give up their grants if DeSantis restores funding for Florida arts groups -Capitatum
Theater festivals offer to give up their grants if DeSantis restores funding for Florida arts groups
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-05 23:43:39
Leaders of two performing arts festivals said Thursday that they would gladly give up their grants if Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis restores the $32 million in state funding he nixed for more than 600 Florida arts groups, explaining the reason for his veto as being because the two theatrical events were “a sexual festival.”
Leaders of The Orlando Fringe and Tampa Fringe described the governor’s description as inaccurate on Thursday at a news conference, but they said it was important for the state’s arts groups to be funded because they play critical roles in their communities. The Orlando festival had been slated to get $70,500, and the Tampa festival was in line to receive $7,500 before the veto.
“Like you, we the Orlando and Tampa Fringe festivals care greatly about the citizens of Florida,” they said in an open letter to the governor. “Given that common ground, we hope that you read this letter with an open mind and fully consider the proposal below.”
Asked to respond to the letter, a DeSantis spokeswoman referred to the governor’s June 27 remarks when he cited the Fringe festivals as something to which taxpayers would be reluctant to have their money directed.
“When I see money being spent that way, I have to be the one who stands up for taxpayers and say, ‘You know what? That is an inappropriate use of taxpayer dollars,’ ” DeSantis said.
Critics decried the veto, saying it was an extension of DeSantis’ culture wars in which he has supported laws limiting what can be said in classrooms about sexual orientation and gender identity and prohibiting the teaching of an academic framework outlining the ways systemic racism is part of American society.
Arts and cultural groups across Florida have been scrambling to fill holes in their budgets ever since DeSantis vetoed the arts funding last month from the state’s $116.5 billion budget.
Arts leaders across the state said it was the first time they recall a Florida governor eliminating all grant funding for arts and culture, and it came as arts organizations that survived COVID-19 pandemic closures were still recovering with smaller attendance and revenues.
Florida’s arts and cultural industry generates $5.7 billion in economic activity a year, including $2.9 billion by nonprofit arts and culture organizations, and supports more than 91,000 full-time jobs, according to a study from Americans for the Arts in collaboration with the state Division of Arts and Culture and Citizens for Florida Arts Inc.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on the social platform X: @MikeSchneiderAP.
veryGood! (686)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- NYC college suspends officer who told pro-Palestinian protester ‘I support killing all you guys’
- What is clear-air turbulence? What to know about the very violent phenomenon
- Uvalde mom pushes through 'nightmare' so others won't know loss of a child in 'Print It Black'
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- A man found bones in his wine cellar. They were from 40,000-year-old mammoths.
- Burger King to launch $5 meal ahead of similar promo from rival McDonald's
- Here's why summer travel vacations will cost more this year
- 'Most Whopper
- Stock market today: Asian shares track Wall Street’s slide on worries over interest rates
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- 'One in a million': 2 blue-eyed cicadas spotted in Illinois as 2 broods swarm the state
- Real Housewives of Atlanta' Kandi Burruss Shares a Hack for Lasting Makeup & Wedding Must-Haves
- Shop Lands' End Irresistible Memorial Day Sale & Get 50% off Your Order Plus an Extra 10% on Swim
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Kyle Larson set to join elite group, faces daunting schedule with Indy 500-NASCAR double
- MLB Misery Index: New York Mets have another big-money mess as Edwin Díaz struggles
- Dolly Parton to spotlight her family in new album and docuseries 'Smoky Mountain DNA'
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Oilers' Connor McDavid beats Stars in double overtime after being robbed in first OT
Hunter Biden’s lawyers expected in court for final hearing before June 3 gun trial
WWE King and Queen of the Ring 2024: Time, how to watch, match card and more
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Sofia Richie Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Elliot Grainge
Over 100,000 in Texas without power due to severe thunderstorms, tornadoes: See map
More severe weather forecast in Midwest as Iowa residents clean up tornado damage