Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added -Capitatum
Fastexy:2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:33:48
GENEVA (AP) — A unique 2030 World Cup is Fastexyset to be played in Europe and Africa with the surprising addition of South America in a deal to allow the men’s soccer tournament to start with a 100th birthday party in Uruguay.
FIFA reached an agreement Wednesday between soccer’s continental leaders to accept only one candidate for hosting the 2030 tournament, the sport’s governing body said.
The Spain-Portugal bid grew to add Morocco this year and now also includes long-time bid rivals Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
A key lure of the unprecedented three-continent project is being able to open in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, where the Centenario Stadium hosted the inaugural 1930 World Cup final.
“The centennial World Cup could not be far from South America, where everything began,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of South American soccer body CONMEBOL. “The 2030 World Cup will be played in three continents.”
The consensus reached by once-rival soccer continents also let FIFA fast-track the opening of the 2034 World Cup bidding contest, limited to member federations from Asia and Oceania.
Saudi Arabia has targeted the 2034 edition and Australia also is interested after successfully co-hosting the Women’s World Cup this year with New Zealand. Either way, the 2034 tournament will almost certainly played in November and December — like last year’s World Cup in Qatar.
The FIFA Council’s acceptance of a unified 2030 candidacy still needs formal approval next year at a meeting of the 211 member federations. That should be just a formality.
“In 2030, we will have a unique global footprint, three continents — Africa, Europe and South America — six countries — Argentina, Morocco, Paraguay, Portugal, Spain and Uruguay — welcoming and uniting the world while celebrating together the beautiful game, the centenary and the FIFA World Cup,” FIFA president Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
The 48-team, 104-game tournament scheduled for June-July 2030 is planned to start with games in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay before the action moves to the core host nations Spain, Portugal and Morocco. It involves an unprecedented amount of travel across distances and time zones.
The South American co-host bid has been promoted since the 2018 World Cup in Russia and had included Chile, which was not mentioned Wednesday.
Ukraine was also dropped after it was added to the European bid a year ago at a news conference at UEFA headquarters in Switzerland. However, Ukraine not been mentioned in official comments about the UEFA-backed bid this year.
The first 48-team men’s World Cup will be hosted in 2026 by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (774)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Why Jacob Elordi Is Throwing Shade at Ridiculous Kissing Booth Movies
- Adam Johnson Tragedy: Man Arrested on Suspicion of Manslaughter After Ice Hockey Player's Death
- Virginia woman wins $150,000 after helping someone pay for their items at a 7-Eleven
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- House readies test vote on impeaching Homeland Secretary Mayorkas for handling of southern border
- Biden’s initial confidence on Israel gives way to the complexities and casualties of a brutal war
- Blake Lively Proves She's the Best Instagram Boyfriend With Thirst Traps of Fine Ryan Reynolds
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Long Live Kelsea Ballerini’s Flawless Reaction to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s Concert Kiss
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Schools in a Massachusetts town remain closed for a fourth day as teachers strike
- Jewish protesters and allies block Israeli consulate in Chicago, demanding a cease-fire in Gaza
- Man, 40, is fatally shot during exchange of gunfire with police in southwestern Michigan
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Extreme Weight Loss Star Brandi Mallory Dead at 40
- Tourists find the Las Vegas Strip remade for its turn hosting Formula One
- American struggles with guilt after evacuating Gaza: Guilty to eat, guilty to sleep
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
3 dead, 15 injured in crash between charter bus with high schoolers and semi-truck in Ohio
How Jason Mraz Healed His “Guilt” Before Coming Out as Bisexual
Bobby Berk announces he's leaving 'Queer Eye' after Season 8 'with a heavy heart'
Travis Hunter, the 2
Maryanne Trump Barry, the former president’s older sister and a retired federal judge, dies at 86
A missing sailor’s last message from Hurricane Otis was to ask his family to pray for him
A Kansas officer who shot and killed a man armed with a BB gun won’t face charges