Current:Home > InvestTampa Bay Rays finalizing new ballpark in St. Petersburg as part of a larger urban project -Capitatum
Tampa Bay Rays finalizing new ballpark in St. Petersburg as part of a larger urban project
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:34:33
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — The playoff-bound Tampa Bay Rays put the finishing touches Tuesday on plans for a new 30,000-seat ballpark in St. Petersburg as part of a huge $6.5 billion development project that includes affordable housing, retail, bars and restaurants and a Black history museum.
The site is on the same 86-acre (34-hectare) tract of downtown land where Tropicana Field now sits. That domed, oddly-tilted ballpark will be demolished once the new one is built, in time for Opening Day 2028, said Brian Auld, co-president of the Rays, in an interview Monday.
The plan, which still has some political hurdles on funding and approvals to clear, would keep the Rays in St. Petersburg for the foreseeable future despite constant talk of the team moving across the bay to Tampa, possibly to Nashville, Tennessee, and even a plan to split home games with Montreal that was shot down by Major League Baseball.
“We’re going to be here for a very long time,” Auld said. “We’re all really thrilled that for the first time since we started this we have a clear path to make sure the Rays stay in Tampa Bay for generations to come.”
The announcement for the new ballpark and surrounding project came Tuesday at an event on the field at Tropicana Field.
“I am so excited that the Rays are here to stay. Finally!” said Janet Long, chair of the Pinellas County Commission, who noted this will be the largest economic development project in county history. “This project is a home run and means so much more to us than sports.”
The Rays have played in St. Petersburg since their inaugural 1998 season. The Trop, as the Rays current home is called, is criticized for being dank, outdated and having roof support beams that are sometimes hit by fly balls. It cost $138 million when it was built in 1990 to draw a major league team to the region.
The new ballpark will cost about $1.3 billion, officials said, with roughly half of that coming from the Rays and half from city and county governments, co-president Matt Silverman said. The structure will have a fixed roof in rainy and hot Florida but it will be low-profile, with doors and windows on the sides that can open to the fresh air during cooler months.
“It will have the smallest capacity in Major League Baseball. Having that roof is necessary, but you want to create intimacy,” Silverman said.
Pinellas County officials say their share of the money will come from a bed tax largely funded by visitors that can only be spent on tourist-related expenses.
The Rays (92-59, second in the American League East) on Sunday qualified for the playoffs for the fifth straight year but have among the lowest attendance figures in baseball, with an average of about 17,778 fans per home game, according to MLB.
The overall project goes beyond baseball. It has been pushed by Ken Welch, St. Petersburg’s first Black mayor, as a way to make amends for the destruction of the Historic Gas Plant neighborhood whose mostly Black residents were forced to move in part because of the Rays’ ballpark.
“I saw a need to build a better path forward by prioritizing the community’s need for affordable and workforce housing – both onsite and offsite,” Welch said in a speech earlier this year.
Hines global development company, which is managing the project, says it will include more than 6,000 new apartments and condominiums, office space, retail space, a hotel, Black history museum, and more. The goal is to break ground in the second half of 2024.
“It’s more than just a baseball team that calls it home,” Silverman said. “The stadium question has hung over this franchise for decades. We’re creating a new neighborhood.”
veryGood! (3)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Downed power line shocks 6-year-old Texas boy and his grandmother, leaving them with significant burns in ICU
- Man sentenced to 40 years to life for killing mother after argument over video game volume
- Arizona man gets 15 years in prison for setting woman’s camper trailer on fire
- Sam Taylor
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs sells shares in Revolt as his media company becomes employee-owned
- Bison gores 83-year-old woman in Yellowstone National Park
- Metal in pepperoni? Wegmans issues recall over potentially contaminated meat
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Dallas Stars' Joe Pavelski, top US-born playoff goal scorer, won't play in NHL next season
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- A new agreement would limit cruise passengers in Alaska’s capital. A critic says it falls short
- Psychedelic drug MDMA faces FDA panel in bid to become first-of-a-kind PTSD medication
- Missouri Supreme Court says governor had the right to dissolve inquiry board in death row case
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Woman initially pronounced dead, but found alive at Nebraska funeral home has passed away
- ‘Cheaters don’t like getting caught': VP Harris speaks about Trump conviction on Jimmy Kimmel
- Student pilot attempted solo cross-country flight before crashing into a Connecticut campground
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Chicago police tweak mass arrests policy ahead of Democratic National Convention
Columbia University and a Jewish student agree on a settlement that imposes more safety measures
The $64 million mystery: How a wave of anonymous donations is fueling the 2024 presidential campaign
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
In new Hulu show 'Clipped,' Donald Sterling's L.A. Clippers scandal gets a 2024 lens: Review
Mom of slain US airman calls for fired Florida deputy who shot her son to be charged
Kids' YouTuber Ms. Rachel Responds to Backlash After Celebrating Pride Month