Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:California regulators suspend recently approved San Francisco robotaxi service for safety reasons -Capitatum
Surpassing:California regulators suspend recently approved San Francisco robotaxi service for safety reasons
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 03:53:41
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California regulators have Surpassingrevoked the license of a robotaxi service owned by General Motors after determining its driverless cars that recently began transporting passengers throughout San Francisco are a dangerous menace.
The California Department of Motor Vehicles’ indefinite suspension of the Cruise robotaxi service comes just two months after another state regulator, the Public Utilities Commission, approved an expansion that authorized around-the-clock rides throughout San Francisco — the second most dense city in the U.S.
That approval came over a chorus of protests, including some lodged by police and fire officials who asserted the driverless vehicles had been impeding traffic in emergencies during a testing phase.
Now Cruise is being forced to slam on the brakes on its operations after the DMV concluded its robotaxis posed “an unreasonable risk to public safety,” according to a statement issued by the agency.
The DMV didn’t elaborate on the specific reasons for the suspension, but the move comes after a series of incidents that heightened concerns about the hazards and inconveniences caused by Cruise’s robotaxis. The worries reached a new level earlier this month after a Cruise robotaxi ran over a pedestrian who had been hit by another vehicle driven by a human, and then pinned the pedestrian under one of its tires after coming to a stop.
In a statement, Cruise confirmed it has ceased its robotaxi operations in San Francisco. It said it is continuing to cooperate with state and federal regulators in their inquiry into the Oct. 2 accident involving a robotaxi named “Panini” and the critically injured pedestrian, who had to be extracted from under the robotaxi with the help of the “jaws of life” before being taken to a local hospital. Cruise said its engineers are examining that accident and working on way for its robotaxis to improve their response “to this kind of extremely rare event.”
While Cruise has been sidelined in San Francisco, another robotaxi operated by Waymo is continuing to give rides throughout the city. Waymo, which began as as secret project within Google more than a decade ago, has been running another robotaxi service in Phoenix for the past three years. Although its robotaxis haven’t been involved in a major accident in San Francisco, Waymo’s vehicles also have come to sudden stops that have backed up traffic in the city.
The California suspension is a significant blow to GM and its ambitious goals for Cruise, which the Detroit automaker has predicted will generate $1 billion in revenue by 2025 — a big jump from Cruise’s revenue of $106 million last year when it also lost nearly $2 billion. Cruise also is testing a robotaxi service in Los Angeles, where protests against it already have been percolating, as well as Phoenix and Austin, Texas.
In a conference call held Tuesday before California regulators moved against Cruise, GM CEO Mary Barra hailed Cruise and its autonomous vehicles, or AVs, as a big breakthrough in the future of transportation.
“As Cruise continues to push the boundaries and what AV technology can deliver to society, safety is always at the forefront and this is something they are continuously improving,” Barra said.
But Cruise’s robotaxis appeared to be heading in the wrong direction even before Tuesday’s abrupt suspension. After a pod of the vehicles came to an abrupt stop and blocked traffic on a Friday night in a popular San Francisco neighborhood less than 48 hours after they received approval to expand operations in the city, civic leaders initiated a move to revoke their permit. The DMV initially asked Cruise to cut its driverless fleet in San Francisco in half, a request accepted by the company.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- New Mexico regulators reject utility’s effort to recoup some investments in coal and nuclear plants
- Shootout with UNLV gunman heard in new Las Vegas police body camera video
- NFL stars sitting out Week 18: Patrick Mahomes, Christian McCaffrey among those resting
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Microsoft adds AI button to keyboards to summon chatbots
- Abused chihuahua with mutilated paws receives new booties to help her walk comfortably
- Prosecutors seek to drop three felony charges against the brother of Patrick Mahomes
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- RHOSLC's Monica Garcia Responds to Explosive Season Finale Scandal With Nod to Gossip Girl
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Horoscopes Today, January 3, 2024
- 12 years after she vanished, divers believe they have found body of woman in submerged vehicle
- Alabama nitrogen gas execution is 'inhuman' and 'alarming,' UN experts say
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- CD rates soared for savers in 2023. Prepare for a tax hit this year.
- A Texas father and son arrested in the killings of a pregnant woman and her boyfriend
- Carolina Panthers owner David Tepper fined by NFL for throwing drink into stands
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
New York governor pushes for reading education overhaul as test scores lag
Witness threat claims delay hearing for Duane 'Keffe D' Davis in Tupac Shakur's murder case
The Supreme Court is expected to determine whether Trump can keep running for president. Here’s why
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Georgia state senator joins Republican congressional race for seat opened by Ferguson’s retirement
Nebraska lawmakers reconvene for new session that could shape up to be as contentious as the last
More hospitals are requiring masks as flu and COVID-19 cases surge