Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Haiti gang leader vows to fight any foreign armed force if it commits abuses -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Haiti gang leader vows to fight any foreign armed force if it commits abuses
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:03:33
PORT-AU-PRINCE,Charles H. Sloan Haiti (AP) — An ex-police officer considered by many to be Haiti’s most powerful gang leader warned Wednesday that he would fight any international armed force deployed to the Caribbean country if it commited any abuses.
Jimmy Chérizier, best known as “Barbecue,” also urged Haitians to mobilize against the government. “We are asking the population to rise up,” he said at a news conference.
Prime Minister Ariel Henry, who has led Haiti since the July 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse, has been pushing for the deployment of a foreign armed force since October to help fight powerful gangs that are estimated to now control 80% of the capital of Port-au-Prince.
In late July, the African nation of Kenya offered to lead a multinational force, and the U.S. said earlier this month that it would put forward a resolution in the U.N. Security Council to authorize a non-U.N. multinational mission.
Chérizier said he would welcome a foreign force if it were to arrest the prime minister and people he described as corrupt politicians and local police allegedly selling ammunitions and guns in Haiti’s slums.
“If the foreign force comes to help and provide security for life to start over again, we will also applaud,” he said.
But he said Haitians would rise up if any international force repeated the actions of previous U.N. peacekeepers, including committing sexual abuses and inadvertently introducing cholera into water sources.
“We will fight against them until our last breath,” he said. “It will be a fight of the Haitian people to save the dignity of our country.”
The United Nations had no comment, U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.
Chérizier, who has been accused by authorities of masterminding several massacres in recent years and of organizing a fuel blockade last year that paralyzed Haiti for nearly two months, said the group he leads, G9 Family and Allies, is no longer warring with another group known as G-Pep.
“We became one,” he said. “We love life a lot.”
Chérizier is the only Haitian under U.N. sanctions, with the Security Council saying he “has engaged in acts that threaten the peace, security, and stability of Haiti and has planned, directed, or committed acts that constitute serious human rights abuses.”
He called on the Ministry of Education to reopen schools in Cite Soleil and other slums that have been closed because warring gangs who are raping and killing people. The violence has displaced nearly 200,000 Haitians whose homes have been torched by the gangs.
Chérizier spoke to nearly two dozen journalists at an outdoors construction site in Port-au-Prince. He wore sandals, white pants and an orange hoodie emblazoned with a religious symbol used in Vodou.
He was surrounded by several G9 members carrying small handguns visible under their clothes, unlike his previous media appearances at which they openly held assault rifles.
veryGood! (93197)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- The Best Spring Jackets That Are Comfy, Cute, and Literally Go With Everything
- Claudia Oshry Reveals How Ozempic Caused Hair Loss Issues
- Maine governor will allow one final gun safety bill, veto another in wake of Lewiston mass shootings
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- 'Succession' star Brian Cox opens up about religion, calls the Bible 'one of the worst books'
- 32 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas Under $10 That Your Mom Will Actually Use
- Democratic New York state Sen. Tim Kennedy wins seat in Congress in special election
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Mega Millions winning numbers for April 30 drawing: Jackpot rises to $284 million
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- These are the most dangerous jobs in America
- Why YouTuber Aspyn Ovard and Husband Parker Ferris Are Pausing Divorce Proceedings
- Minnesota man who regrets joining Islamic State group faces sentencing on terrorism charge
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Sofía Vergara Candidly Shares How She Feels About Aging
- Paul Auster, prolific and experimental man of letters and filmmaker, dies at 77
- Kelly Clarkson mistakes her song for a Christina Aguilera hit in a game with Anne Hathaway
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
More Republican states challenge new Title IX rules protecting LGBTQ+ students
WNBA ticket sales on StubHub are up 93%. Aces, Caitlin Clark and returning stars fuel rise
Former UFC champion Francis Ngannou says his 15-month-old son died
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Jason Kelce Details Why Potential Next Career Move Serves as the Right Fit
Ancestral lands of the Muscogee in Georgia would become a national park under bills in Congress
U.S. bans most uses of paint-stripping solvent after dozens of deaths