Current:Home > NewsNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players -Capitatum
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 09:19:44
PHOENIX (AP) — The NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank CenterArizona Diamondbacks acquired slugger Eugenio Suárez on Wednesday from the Seattle Mariners for reliever Carlos Vargas and catcher Seby Zavala.
The 32-year-old Suárez was a 2018 All-Star for the Cincinnati Reds and has been a consistent power hitter for the past decade, slugging 246 homers since 2012. He fills a need for the D-backs at third base, which was manned mostly by Evan Longoria and Emmanuel Rivera last season.
Suárez also provides another power bat for the reigning NL champions. He hit .232 with 22 homers and 96 RBIs for the Mariners last season, playing third base and designated hitter.
Suárez is due $11 million for next year as part of deal that includes a $15 million option for 2025 with a $2 million buyout.
“It adds a little bit of stability at that spot,” Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen said. “He’s a guy we’ve liked for a long time.”
Vargas is a 24-year-old right-hander who made his big league debut with the Diamondbacks this season, throwing in five games. The 30-year-old Zavala has been a backup catcher for the Chicago White Sox and the Diamondbacks over the past three seasons.
Jerry Dipoto, president of baseball operations for the Mariners, said the club envisions Zavala as the backup to Cal Raleigh entering the season.
“Adding Seby and Carlos is another step toward building the type of deep roster that is required at the major league level,” Dipoto said. “Seby is an experienced catcher with excellent defensive skills who will team with Cal behind the plate. And Carlos is a young reliever with the type of ‘big stuff’ that our staff has done a wonderful job developing over the years.”
Moving on from Suárez will be hard to sell to a fan base full of skepticism about the direction of the club after Seattle missed the playoffs and Dipoto’s misstep with some of his postseason comments. From the outside, it appears to be a move to clear salary, erases a key leader from Seattle’s clubhouse and leaves a hole at third base.
But Dipoto said earlier this offseason that Seattle wanted to cut down on its strikeouts at the plate, especially from the right side. It was part of the reason Teoscar Hernández was not made a qualifying offer by the team. While Suárez provided power, he also struck out an American League-high 214 times.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/mlb
veryGood! (64)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Rapper Eve Details Past Ectopic Pregnancy and Fertility Journey
- New Jersey floats $400 million in tax breaks to lure Philadelphia 76ers
- Break in the weather helps contain a wildfire near South Dakota’s second-biggest city
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- The cost of a Costco membership has officially increased for first time since 2017
- The Bachelorette Finale: Jenn Tran and Devin Strader Break Up, End Engagement in Shocking Twist
- The War on Drugs announces a live album ahead of its tour with The National
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- New York man gets 13 months in prison for thousands of harassing calls to Congress
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Variety of hunting supplies to be eligible during Louisiana’s Second Amendment sales tax holiday
- Former Venezuelan political prisoner arrested in Miami after a fatal hit-and-run crash, police say
- Arkansas judge convicted of lying to feds about seeking sex with defendant’s girlfriend
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Kendall Jenner Ditches Her Signature Style for Bold Haircut in Calvin Klein Campaign
- Mega Millions winning numbers for September 3 drawing: Did anyone win $681 million jackpot?
- Grand Canyon pipeline repairs completed; overnight lodging set to resume
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Donald Trump's campaign prohibited from using Isaac Hayes song after lawsuit threat
Atlanta mayor proposes $60M to house the homeless
LL COOL J’s First Album in 11 Years Is Here — Get a Signed Copy and Feel the Beat of The Force
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
A US Navy sailor is detained in Venezuela, Pentagon says
Workers at General Motors joint venture battery plant in Tennessee unionize and will get pay raise
Global stocks tumble after Wall Street drops on worries about the economy