Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:North Carolina WR Tez Walker can play in 2023 after NCAA grants transfer waiver -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:North Carolina WR Tez Walker can play in 2023 after NCAA grants transfer waiver
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 12:04:46
The SafeX ProTez Walker-NCAA saga may be over, as the North Carolina receiver will be granted a transfer waiver that will make him eligible to play the remainder of the 2023 season.
The NCAA said it received new information regarding Walker's eligibility this week, which made him qualify for the waiver. The NCAA also said the information wasn't previously made available by the Tar Heels "despite the school's multiple chances to do so."
"It is unfortunate that UNC failed to provide this important information previously. While we must be careful not to compromise a student-athlete's right to privacy when it comes to sensitive issues, we want to assure the Division I membership and everyone watching how the new transfer rules are applied, that this meets the new transfer waiver standards," NCAA president Charlie Baker and Division I Board of Directors chair Jere Morehead said in a statement.
Tez Walker-NCAA saga
The decision comes nearly a month after Walker was ruled ineligible for the season after transferring from Kent State. Walker announced his transfer to his home state in December to be closer to his ailing grandmother, but he was deemed ineligible and missed North Carolina's first four games. The prior decision drew outrage from head coach Mack Brown, who infamously wrote in a letter, "Shame on you, NCAA. SHAME ON YOU!"
After Brown's outburst, the NCAA ripped the Tar Heels for the public outrage, saying some committee members faced threats. In the announcement on Thursday, the NCAA once again took a shot at North Carolina, putting the blame on them for Walker's prior eligibility status.
"UNC's behavior and decision to wage a public relations campaign is inappropriate and outside the bounds of the process UNC's own staff supported. Had the UNC staff not behaved in this fashion and submitted this information weeks ago, this entire unfortunate episode could have been avoided," Baker and Morehead said.
'See everyone on Saturday'
Brown said in a statement Thursday "we were thrilled" to learn Walker was eligible, and thanked the NCAA for its co-operation.
"Everything that's transpired over the last few months has been with the sole purpose of helping and supporting him, and now he's going to have a chance to live his dream," Brown said. "We want to express our gratitude to the people at UNC who have worked tirelessly to assist Tez. We never gave up. We also wanted to thank the NCAA for being willing to re-examine Tez's case, and ultimately deciding to grant him his eligibility."
Walker said he's excited to play for the Tar Heels this season as he has received support from the university and fans since the initial decision. He indicated he will be available for North Carolina's home game against Syracuse this weekend.
"I can't wait to put on that jersey, run out of the tunnel, and play in Kenan Stadium. I've been dreaming of this for a long time and now it will be a reality. See everyone on Saturday," Walker said.
veryGood! (668)
prev:Trump's 'stop
next:Travis Hunter, the 2
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Hard landing kills skydiver at Florida airport for the second time in less than 2 years
- Cyprus president asks EU Commission chief to get Lebanon to stop migrants from leaving its shores
- Autism in young girls is often misdiagnosed or overlooked. A doctor explains why.
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Drawing nears for $1.09 billion Powerball jackpot that is 9th largest in US history
- Here's how much Americans say they need to retire — and it's 53% higher than four years ago
- Big Time Rush's Kendall Schmidt and Wife Mica von Turkovich Welcome Their First Baby
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Vanderpump Rules' Ariana Madix Makes Sex Dig at Ex Tom Sandoval Over His Dirty Underwear
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Scathing federal report rips Microsoft for shoddy security, insincerity in response to Chinese hack
- 'Kia Boys' flee police in Washington before crashing, chopper footage shows
- Army vet's wife stabbed 28 times, toddler found fatally stabbed in backyard pool: Warrant
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Vikings suspend offensive coordinator Wes Phillips 3 weeks after careless driving plea deal
- Watch Cher perform 'Believe' with Jennifer Hudson at the iHeartRadio Music Awards
- Minnesota Twins' Byron Buxton nearly gets run over by bratwurst in Milwaukee Brewers' sausage race
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
LSU’s Angel Reese Tears Up While Detailing Death Threats During Post-Game Conference
You could be sitting on thousands of dollars: A list of the most valuable pennies
John Sinclair, a marijuana activist who was immortalized in a John Lennon song, dies at 82
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Complications remain for ship that caused Baltimore bridge collapse | The Excerpt
Meghan Markle Makes Rare Public Appearance at Children's Hospital
Jay Leno's wife 'sometimes does not know' him amid dementia battle