Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Contract dispute nearly cost Xander Schauffele his Ryder Cup spot, according to his father -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Contract dispute nearly cost Xander Schauffele his Ryder Cup spot, according to his father
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:32:22
Xander Schauffele compiled a 1-3-0 record at last week’s Ryder Cup,Rekubit Exchange but according to a report in The Times, his status on Team USA was up in the air until just a few weeks before the event.
Stefan Schauffele, Xander’s father, told The Times that his son’s place on Zach Johnson’s squad was in doubt due to a dispute over an agreement granting Netflix access to the team room for its Full Swing docuseries. The issue reportedly wasn’t resolved until just weeks before a team scouting trip to Marco Simone Golf and Country Club near Rome. Stefan also claimed the PGA of America used "strong-arming tactics."
A report from Sky Sports during the Ryder Cup claimed there was friction in the U.S. team room, and that Patrick Cantlay was at the center of the conflict due to his beliefs that players who play in the Ryder Cup should be paid. The reporter, Jamie Weir, also shared: "Before the Ryder Cup it was widely reported that (Schauffele and Cantlay) were the ones refusing to allow Netflix cameras access to the team room."
Cantlay, who played twice alongside his good friend Schauffele, refuted the report all weekend.
Stefan claimed the "ink-smear" about a fractured team room may have developed Xander and Cantlay asking for a "player participation and benefit agreement," which he said was sent in July, to be amended in three different places, one of which regarded the Netflix access. The U.S. went on to deny access to the team room to preserve the "sanctity and sacredness of Team USA" after a unanimous vote by Johnson and his players.
From the Times report:
"The PGA of America were not willing to even talk to us about (the three amendments),” Stefan Schauffele told The Times. “It was very late in the schedule right before the team came here (to Rome) to practice because they had moved the deadline and they said, 'If you don’t sign it by then, you’re off the team,' but they never gave us the contact information of their legal counsel."
"Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend (Sept. 2), finally, the head of the PGA of America got wind of this, because it was not him that was blocking it, and put our lawyers in contact with the PGA of America’s general counsel, and then it took a few hours to hash it out and it was fine. Then I received a message that Xander was back on the team. That you can quote. That’s the extent of this and I think it’s shameful."
Stefan confirmed the issue of players not being paid is a point of contention, but he told the Times it wasn’t discussed in Rome "because it’s the wrong venue and time," but does think a conversation needs to be had and sides need to come to the table to negotiate.
"The PGA of America and Ryder Cup Europe need to be more transparent and disclose how this money from the Ryder Cup is being distributed," he said.
"They are using players’ intellectual properties to make money and the American players don’t get paid," he added. "More importantly, this would become a non-issue if all proceeds, net proceeds, from the Ryder Cup were to be donated to common charitable causes. Right now, the American players are asked to donate their time pro-bono in the name of patriotism so these organizations can benefit from the profits."
"The PGA (of America) uses this money, and the PGA Tour gets 20 percent that goes into the retirement of every member. The 12 players supposedly need to eat it and their intellectual property gets abused for the benefit of 200 other people. That’s not right."
But Stefan didn’t stop there. He also gave some interesting quotes to No Laying Up’s Kevin Van Valkenburg.
"If the PGA of America is a for-profit organization, they need to have the players' share in that profit instead of being so damned intransparent about it with intent," Stefan said. "They should reveal the numbers, and then we should go to the table and talk. Alternatively, they can donate all proceeds after opening the books to a charity of our joint choice, and then we will happily play for free. Please print that."
"I think it’s absolutely non-controversial," he continued. "Imagine if the winners got $2 million and the losers get nothing. How good of a competition would we have now? I think it could be made so much better because of that. I don’t see a negative there. I think we need to talk about it without bringing up the issue of patriotism, which I think is a really, really cheap shot. Because they’re so wrong, especially these (PGA of America members) are not owning any mirrors in their houses because they’re the ones that are not patriotic. Hopefully the conversation, in seriousness, leads to talks about it that make sense. And then everyone can be happy."
The discussion around the Sky Sports report was never going to end with Cantlay’s denial, and Stefan Schauffele throwing gas on the sizzling fire has only ensured the discussion of players being paid will continue long after the 2023 Ryder Cup post-mortem ends.
veryGood! (975)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Rob Kardashian Reveals His NSFW Reaction to Scott Disick’s Sex Life
- Birds nesting in agricultural lands more vulnerable to extreme heat, study finds
- Stranded on the Eiffel Tower, a couple decide to wed, with an AP reporter there to tell the story
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Jon Bon Jovi named MusiCares Person of the Year. How he'll be honored during Grammys Week
- Soccer Star Ali Krieger Enters Beyoncé Lemonade Era Amid Ashlyn Harris, Sophia Bush Romance
- Chicago-area man charged with hate crimes for threatening Muslim men
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Major US Muslim group cancels Virginia banquet over bomb and death threats
- The government secures a $9 million settlement with Ameris Bank over alleged redlining in Florida
- Black dolls made from 1850s to 1940s now on display in Rochester museum exhibit
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Billie Eilish reveals massive new back tattoo, causing mixed social media reactions
- More PGA Tour players will jump to LIV Golf for 2024 season, Phil Mickelson says
- A 19-year-old was charged in the death of a fellow Mississippi college student
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Baltimore firefighter dies and 4 others are injured battling rowhouse fire
2 special elections could bring more bad news for Britain’s governing Conservatives
China is building up its nuclear weapons arsenal faster than previous projections, a US report says
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
American journalist detained in Russia for failing to register as foreign agent
Popular use of obesity drugs like Ozempic could change consumer habits
As Israel-Hamas war rages, Israelis can now travel to US for 90 days without getting a visa