Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Post-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers -Capitatum
Charles Langston:Post-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 12:24:47
Fox News is Charles Langstonrevamping its prime-time lineup amid a recent ratings decline triggered by the ouster of Tucker Carlson in April.
The new schedule puts Jesse Watters Primetime in Carlson's old 8 p.m. slot, with Watters also to remain a co-host on The Five. Laura Ingraham's The Ingraham Angle will shift from 10 p.m. to 7 p.m., while Sean Hannity's Hannity will remain at 9 p.m. Gutfeld!, hosted by conservative comedian Greg Gutfeld, will move to 10 p.m.
In addition, the 11 p.m. hour will now be the home to Fox News @ Night, anchored by Trace Gallagher.
"Fox News Channel has been America's destination for news and analysis for more than 21 years and we are thrilled to debut a new lineup," Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott said in a statement. "The unique perspectives of Laura Ingraham, Jesse Watters, Sean Hannity, and Greg Gutfeld will ensure our viewers have access to unrivaled coverage from our best-in-class team for years to come."
The new lineup takes effect July 17.
The Rupert Murdoch-owned news network yanked Carlson off the air after settling a massive defamation lawsuit with Dominion Voting Systems for $787.5 million over the network's airing of bogus claims of election fraud in the 2020 presidential election. Fox News and Carlson have also been sued for a hostile work environment by a former senior producer who alleged his show was rife with bigotry and sexism.
The conservative provocateur became a star at the network by spewing xenophobic and often hateful rhetoric that appeals to the far right. More recently he amassed an even greater following by claiming that the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol was harmless and also simultaneously arranged by antifa and the FBI.
Watters, who first joined the news network in 2002 as a production assistant, is also no stranger to controversy. He was one of several right-wing media personalities who have promoted the false narrative that drag is a left-wing plot to sexualize children. Following the mass shooting at Colorado's Club Q last year, Watters falsely said drag shows were designed to "change the mainstream opinion of fringe sexual activity, including, but not limited to, sex with children."
He also received blowback after urging young conservatives to "ambush" the nation's former top infectious disease expert, Anthony Fauci, and "go in for the kill shot."
Despite his dismissal from Fox News, Carlson is still under contract with the network, which says he is not allowed to launch a competing show until his contract ends in early 2025.
But that hasn't stopped him from starting a new one anyway. Earlier this month, he premiered Tucker on Twitter, short 10 to 15 minute long videos that are more monologue than talk show.
Fox News has sent Carlson a cease and desist letter saying he is in violation of his deal.
veryGood! (92997)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Lee Zeldin, Trump’s EPA Pick, Brings a Moderate Face to a Radical Game Plan
- Parts of Southern California under quarantine over oriental fruit fly infestation
- Democrat George Whitesides wins election to US House, beating incumbent Mike Garcia
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Lululemon, Disney partner for 34-piece collection and campaign: 'A dream collaboration'
- Ariana Grande Shares Dad's Emotional Reaction to Using His Last Name in Wicked Credits
- Keke Palmer Says Ryan Murphy “Ripped” Into Her Over Scream Queens Schedule
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Watch: Military dad's emotional return after a year away
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Who will be in the top 12? Our College Football Playoff ranking projection
- Mariah Carey's Amazon Holiday Merch Is All I Want for Christmas—and It's Selling Out Fast!
- Bev Priestman fired as Canada women’s soccer coach after review of Olympic drone scandal
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- NFL power rankings Week 11: Steelers, Eagles enjoying stealthy rises
- Texas mother sentenced to 50 years for leaving kids in dire conditions as son’s body decomposed
- Texas mother sentenced to 50 years for leaving kids in dire conditions as son’s body decomposed
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Roy Haynes, Grammy-winning jazz drummer, dies at 99: Reports
Spirit Airlines cancels release of Q3 financial results as debt restructuring talks heat up
13 Skincare Gifts Under $50 That Are Actually Worth It
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
As the transition unfolds, Trump eyes one of his favorite targets: US intelligence
Tom Brady Shares How He's Preparing for Son Jack to Be a Stud
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones responds to CeeDee Lamb's excuse about curtains at AT&T Stadium