Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|4 crew members on Australian army helicopter that crashed off coast didn’t survive, officials say -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|4 crew members on Australian army helicopter that crashed off coast didn’t survive, officials say
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-05 20:27:11
CANBERRA,Poinbank Exchange Australia (AP) — The Australian army helicopter that crashed Friday during a multinational exercise hit the water with a “catastrophic impact” and there is no chance its four crew members survived, officials said Monday.
Australia’s fleet of more than 40 of the MRH-90 Taipan helicopters, made by French Airbus, has been grounded since the crash and there are doubts any will fly again.
They will be grounded until crash investigators determine what caused the tragedy. The government announced in January it plans to replace them with 40 U.S. Black Hawks. The Taipans’ retirement date of December 2024 would be 13 years earlier than Australia had initially planned.
Defense Minister Richard Marles said the search and rescue effort changed Monday to a victim recovery operation with no chance that Capt. Danniel Lyon, Lt. Maxwell Nugent, Warrant Officer Joseph Laycock or Cpl. Alexander Naggs had survived.
“There was a catastrophic incident and with every passing hour, it is now clear that any hope of finding (the four crew) alive has been lost,” Marles told reporters.
The helicopter crashed during a nighttime exercise with the United States and other nations near the Whitsunday Islands on the Great Barrier Reef.
Marles had said on Saturday the helicopter “ditched,” which refers to an emergency landing. But on Monday he would not rule our pilot error or disorientation in the dark causing the crash into the water. He urged against speculation about potential causes.
“There was a catastrophic impact on the helicopter when it hit the water,” Marles said.
“We will move through the process of putting the Black Hawks into service as quickly as we can ... and we will not be flying MRH90s until we understand what has happened,” Marles added.
The lost Taipan had been taking part in Talisman Sabre, a biennial U.S.-Australian military exercise that is largely based in Queensland state. This year’s exercise involves 13 nations and more than 30,000 military personnel.
The exercise was continuing on Monday with some changes near the recovery operation, Australian Defense Force Chief Gen. Angus Campbell said.
Campbell thanked the United States and Canada for their help in the search and recovery efforts, which he said was “not an easy operation.”
The wreckage lay in the path of strong currents and tidal movements. It was too deep for standard diving operations.
Part of the airframe had been retrieved by Monday but most of the helicopter remained on the seabed, Campbell said.
It was the second emergency involving an Australian Taipan since March. The fleet was grounded after one ditched into the sea off the New South Wales state coast near the naval base at Jervis Bay during a nighttime counterterrorism training exercise. All 10 passengers and crew members were rescued.
Retired Maj. Gen. Fergus McLachlan was involved in integrating the Taipan into the Australian army when they arrived in 2007 and had been responsible for keeping them airworthy. He said the Taipan did not have the proven record of the Lockheed Martin-designed Black Hawks.
“We bought into an unproven system. In real terms, it was a developmental aircraft and it has never really matured,” McLachlan told Australian Broadcasting Corp.
“It was always a battle to maintain it and keep it flying,” McLachlan added.
veryGood! (53)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Santa Barbara’s paper, one of California’s oldest, stops publishing after owner declares bankruptcy
- Biden’s Pick for the EPA’s Top Air Pollution Job Finds Himself Caught in the Crossfire
- What to know about the Silicon Valley Bank collapse, takeover and fallout
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Florida couple pleads guilty to participating in the US Capitol attack
- Fossil Fuel Companies Are Quietly Scoring Big Money for Their Preferred Climate Solution: Carbon Capture and Storage
- The Maine lobster industry sues California aquarium over a do-not-eat listing
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Despite One Big Dissent, Minnesota Utilities Approve of Coal Plant Sale. But Obstacles Remain
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- The Fires That Raged on This Greek Island Are Out. Now Northern Evia Faces a Long Road to Recovery
- In Baltimore Schools, Cutting Food Waste as a Lesson in Climate Awareness and Environmental Literacy
- A Climate Progressive Leads a Crowded Democratic Field for Pittsburgh’s 12th Congressional District Seat
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- $58M in federal grants aim to help schools, day care centers remove lead from drinking water
- Silicon Valley Bank's three fatal flaws
- Masatoshi Ito, who brought 7-Eleven convenience stores to Japan, has died
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Tom Holland Reveals the DIY Project That Helped Him Win Zendaya's Heart
Deer take refuge near wind turbines as fire scorches Washington state land
South Korean court overturns impeachment of government minister ousted over deadly crowd crush
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
On U.S. East Coast, Has Offshore Wind’s Moment Finally Arrived?
California Gears Up for a New Composting Law to Cut Methane Emissions and Enrich Soil
Man gets 12 years in prison for a shooting at a Texas school that injured 3 when he was a student