Current:Home > ScamsAt least 60 civilians were killed in Burkina Faso last year in military drone strikes, watchdog says -Capitatum
At least 60 civilians were killed in Burkina Faso last year in military drone strikes, watchdog says
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 21:54:06
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Human Rights Watch said Thursday that Burkina Faso’s security forces last year killed at least 60 civilians in three different drone strikes, which the group says may have constituted war crimes.
The West African nation’s government claimed the strikes targeted extremists, including jihadi fighters and rebel groups that have been operating in many remote communities.
The accusation by the New York-based watchdog were the latest in a string of similar charges raised by various rights groups.
“The government should urgently and impartially investigate these apparent war crimes, hold those responsible to account, and provide adequate support for the victims and their families,” HRW said in a new report.
The report also said the strikes were “in violation of the laws of war” and showed “little or no concern” for civilians. HRW had said last year that it found Burkina Faso’s forces were carrying out extrajudicial killings, forced disappearances, and torture in conflict-hit communities.
The drones targeted crowds at a market and a funeral between August and November last year, according to Ilaria Allegrozzi, senior Sahel researcher at HRW.
The government did not respond to inquiries made regarding the findings, the HRW said. The Associated Press could not independently verify the facts surrounding the strikes.
The report was based on interviews with at least 23 witnesses and non-government organizations. The strikes were reported by state-owned media as successful operations that killed Islamic extremists, it said, without mentioning any civilian casualties.
The first drone strike, on Aug. 3, hit a weekly market in the village of Bouro said to be controlled by al-Qaida-linked extremists, HRW said. It quoted three survivors as saying that jihadi fighters were seen entering the market at the time of the strike. One of those interviewed said it was “full of civilians when the drone hit.”
The second strike, on Sept. 24, in the village of Bidi in the Nord region near the border with Mali took place as about 100 men were attending a funeral. There was no militant presence there at the time, the report said, adding that 25 people were killed and dozens injured.
The third strike, in November, targeted a market across the border near the Malian town of Boulkessi. According to the witnesses quoted, while there were some militants present at the time, “almost all” at the market were civilians.
The military in Burkina Faso and those in other parts of Africa’s Sahel region have struggled to contain jihadis and rebel groups.
___
AP Africa news: https://apnews.com/hub/africa
veryGood! (528)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Community Solar Heads for Rooftops of NYC’s Public Housing Projects
- Latest Canadian wildfire smoke maps show where air quality is unhealthy now and forecasts for the near future
- Microgrids Keep These Cities Running When the Power Goes Out
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- How Fossil Fuel Allies Are Tearing Apart Ohio’s Embrace of Clean Energy
- As low-nicotine cigarettes hit the market, anti-smoking groups press for wider standard
- Should ketchup be refrigerated? Heinz weighs in, triggering a social media food fight
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Federal judge blocks Kentucky's ban on gender-affirming care for trans minors
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Publishers Clearing House to pay $18.5 million settlement for deceptive sweepstakes practices
- How Many Polar Bears Will Be Left in 2100? If Temperatures Keep Rising, Probably Not a Lot
- Don’t Miss This Chance To Get 3 It Cosmetics Mascaras for the Price of 1
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Save $300 on This Stylish Coach Outlet Tote Bag With 1,400+ 5-Star Reviews
- Solar Energy Boom Sets New Records, Shattering Expectations
- RHOBH's Kyle Richards Shares Update on Kathy Hilton Feud After Recent Family Reunion
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
How Al Pacino’s Pregnant Girlfriend Noor Alfallah Is Relaxing During 3rd Trimester
Five Years After Speaking Out on Climate Change, Pope Francis Sounds an Urgent Alarm
Inside Halle Bailey’s Enchanting No-Makeup Makeup Look for The Little Mermaid
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
California’s Car Culture Is Slowing the State’s Emissions Cuts
Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth says financial assistance is being sent to wholesalers, beer distributors impacted by boycott backlash
Q&A: Oceanographers Tell How the Pandemic Crimps Global Ocean and Climate Monitoring