Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher -Capitatum
Indexbit-Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:30:44
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry lost a preliminary round Friday in his libel case against against the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.
A London judge said the Duke of Sussex failed to knock out Associated Newspaper Ltd.’s defense that its article reflected an honest opinion. A hearing is Indexbitscheduled Tuesday to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
Justice Matthew Nicklin said in that ruling that “it is not fanciful that the Defendant will be successful, at trial.” He scheduled a hearing Tuesday in the High Court to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
The ruling comes just a day after another judge concluded three days of arguments — mostly behind closed doors — over whether the government unfairly stripped Harry of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, is challenging the government’s decision to provide security to him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. Harry has said hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless news media hounding threatens their safety.
The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online published an article in February 2022 about the issue headlined: “How Prince Harry tried to keep his legal fight with the government over police bodyguards a secret … then — just minutes after the story broke — his PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute.”
Harry claims the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper libeled him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements about his case challenging the government.
Associated Newspapers argued the article expressed an “honest opinion” and did not seriously harm Harry’s reputation.
Nicklin previously ruled the article was defamatory but had not considered whether the story was accurate or in the public interest.
The government, meanwhile, has defended its decision to withdraw full protection for Harry because he stepped down from his role as a senior working member of the family. It said he was treated fairly and provided with security occasionally when he visits.
Another judge earlier this year shot down Harry’s request to privately reimburse London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A government lawyer had argued officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
The dispute with the Mail is one of four lawsuits Harry has pending against publishers of British tabloids in his ongoing battle with the press.
His three other cases allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror and the Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt about him.
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (82)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Maine to spend $25 million to rebuild waterfront after devastating winter storms and flooding
- Proposed Minnesota Equal Rights Amendment draws rival crowds to Capitol for crucial votes
- Questions and grief linger at the apartment door where a deputy killed a US airman
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Georgia requires less basic training for new police officers than any state but Hawaii
- Whoopi Goldberg Reveals She Lost Weight of 2 People Due to Drug Mounjaro
- Blinken visits Ukraine to tout US support for Kyiv’s fight against Russia’s advances
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Roku Channel to carry MLB games each Sunday as part of 'Sunday Leadoff'
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Why Chris Pratt Says There's a Big Difference Between Raising Son Jack and His Daughters
- Howard University cancels nurses' graduation mid-ceremony after door is smashed
- Avalanche lose key playoff piece as Valeri Nichushkin suspended for at least six months
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Blinken visits Ukraine to tout US support for Kyiv’s fight against Russia’s advances
- Middle school assistant principal arrested in connection to triple homicide case from 2013: Reports
- Addison Rae’s Mom Sheri Easterling Marries High School Coach Jess Curtis
Recommendation
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
Jimmy Fallon’s Kids Have Hilarious Reaction to Being Offered Taylor Swift and Beyoncé Tickets
Investigators continue search for the hit-and-run boater who killed a 15-year-old girl in Florida
Caitlin Clark back in action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Connecticut Sun Tuesday
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
An Alabama Coal Company Sued for a Home Explosion That Killed a Man Is Delinquent on Dozens of Penalties, Records Show
South Carolina governor happy with tax cuts, teacher raises but wants health and energy bills done
Risks of handcuffing someone facedown long known; people die when police training fails to keep up