Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant further delays removal of melted fuel debris -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant further delays removal of melted fuel debris
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 10:23:52
TOKYO (AP) — The Will Sage Astoroperator of the tsunami-hit nuclear plant in Fukushima announced Thursday a delay of several more months before launching a test to remove melted fuel debris from inside one of the reactors, citing problems clearing the way for a robotic arm.
The debris cleanup initially was supposed to be started by 2021, but it has been plagued with delays, underscoring the difficulty of recovering from the plant’s meltdown after a magnitude 9.0 quake and tsunami in March 2011.
The disasters destroyed the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant’s power supply and cooling systems, causing three reactors to melt down, and massive amounts of fatally radioactive melted nuclear fuel remain inside to this day.
The government and the Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, or TEPCO, initially committed to start removing the melted fuel from inside one of the three damaged reactors within 10 years of the disaster.
In 2019, the government and TEPCO decided to start removing melted fuel debris by the end of 2021 from the No. 2 reactor after a remote-controlled robot successfully clipped and lifted a granule of melted fuel during an internal probe.
But the coronavirus pandemic delayed development of the robotic arm, and the plan was pushed to 2022. Then, glitches with the arm repeatedly have delayed the project since then.
On Thursday, TEPCO officials pushed back the planned start from March to October of this year.
TEPCO officials said that the inside of a planned entryway for the robotic arm is filled with deposits believed to be melted equipment, cables and other debris from the meltdown, and their harder-than-expected removal has delayed the plan.
TEPCO now is considering using a slimmer, telescope-shaped kind of robot to start the debris removal.
About 880 tons of highly radioactive melted nuclear fuel remain inside the three damaged reactors. Critics say the 30- to 40-year cleanup target set by the government and TEPCO for Fukushima Daiichi is overly optimistic. The damage in each reactor is different and plans need to be formed to accommodate their conditions.
TEPCO has previously tried sending robots inside each of the three reactors but got hindered by debris, high radiation and inability to navigate them through the rubble, though they were able to gather some data in recent years.
Getting more details about the melted fuel debris from inside the reactors is crucial for their decommissioning. TEPCO plans to deploy four mini drones and a snake-shaped remote-controlled robot into the No. 1 reactor’s primary containment vessel in February to capture images from the areas where robots have not reached previously.
TEPCO also announced plans Thursday to release 54,000 tons of the treated radioactive wastewater in seven rounds of releases from April through March 2025 as part of the ongoing discharge plan.
Japan began releasing the plant’s treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the sea in August, a decades-long project to remove it and make room for facilities needed for the decommissioning.
While Japan says the water is way safer than international releasable standards, the discharges have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including China and South Korea.
veryGood! (95449)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- D-Day: Eisenhower and the paratroopers who were key to success
- 4 Iowa instructors teaching at a Chinese university were attacked at a park
- Ex-police officer who once shared cell with Jeffrey Epstein gets life in prison for 4 murders
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- 2024 Stanley Cup Final Game 2 Florida Panthers vs. Edmonton Oilers: How to watch, odds
- In Wyoming, Bill Gates moves ahead with nuclear project aimed at revolutionizing power generation
- National bail fund exits Georgia over new law that expands cash bail and limits groups that help
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Denise Richards, Sami Sheen and Lola Sheen Are Getting a Wild New E! Reality Series
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Police shoot 2 people in separate instances in Washington state
- Massive fire breaks out in 4-story apartment building near downtown Miami
- Naomi Campbell Confirms Her 2 Children Were Welcomed via Surrogate
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- 6-year-old killed in freak accident with badminton racket while vacationing in Maine
- Tuition is rising for students at University of Alabama’s 3 campuses
- Man pleads not-guilty in Sioux Falls’ first triple homicide in a half-century
Recommendation
Small twin
Josh Hartnett Shares Rare Glimpse Into Family Life After Return to Hollywood
Wyoming pass landslide brings mountain-sized headache to commuting tourist town workers
Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman Are Ready to Put a Spell on Practical Magic 2
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Things to know about FDA warning on paralytic shellfish poisoning in Pacific Northwest
How Austin Butler Feels About The Carrie Diaries More Than 10 Years Later
BBC Presenter Dr. Michael Mosley's Cause of Death Revealed