Current:Home > InvestPanel recommends release for woman convicted of murder in baby’s post-Katrina malnutrition death -Capitatum
Panel recommends release for woman convicted of murder in baby’s post-Katrina malnutrition death
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:17:21
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Louisiana’s pardon board has recommended release for a woman serving a life sentence for second-degree murder in the November 2005 malnutrition death of her 5-month-old baby.
It will be up to Gov. John Bel Edwards to decide whether to commute the sentence of Tiffany Woods, now 43. The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate reported that the board’s recommendation came over the strong objection of a state prosecutor, who evoked haunting images of the child in pre-autopsy photos.
A state judge convicted Woods and the baby’s father in 2006 in Caddo Parish in northwest Louisiana, where the couple had fled to ahead of Hurricane Katrina. The storm hit southeast Louisiana on Aug. 29, 2005, leading to catastrophic flooding in New Orleans when levees failed.
Woods told the board Monday that she made poor choices and mistakes while suffering depression and stress during the evacuation — including giving the sickly infant, who had been born prematurely in June 2005, cow’s milk instead of infant formula. She had three other children at the time.
“At that stage of my life, I was a young mother who was trying to take care of her children the best she could. And I made some terrible decisions. But the woman who sits before you today, I’m not that same person,” she said.
Arguing against clemency was prosecutor Suzanne Ellis, who said Woods never accepted responsibility for her baby’s death until Monday’s hearing.
“I will go to my grave remembering this baby,” Ellis said. “This baby was the most pitiful thing I have seen in 26 years. Please do not give her an opportunity at release. Do not give her an opportunity to harm another child, because I am convinced that if she can, she will.”
Ellis said lack of money was not the problem in the household. She said the baby was not taken to a doctor despite obvious deteriorating health.
Woods’ four other children supported her release. Three, including one born after the storm, were with her at the hearing, and a fourth appeared by video from Alaska, where he serves in the U.S. Air Force, according to The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate.
Monday’s meeting was held online. Woods participated from the Louisiana Correctional Institute for Women in Baker, where Warden Kristen Thomas said she was a “low-risk, low-need” inmate.
“We really don’t have any issues with Ms. Woods,” Thomas said, describing her as a “jack of all trades” who is “very helpful for us on the compound.”
Board member Curtis “Pete” Fremin said Woods had only a minor disciplinary record in prison, her last writeup coming a dozen years ago.
“You’re not the same person that you were,” said board member Bonnie Jackson, a former East Baton Rouge Parish judge.
Kerry Myers, director of the Louisiana Parole Project, told the board the organization was set to house Thomas while she adjusts to release if Edwards commutes the sentence.
veryGood! (47)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Tom Smothers, one half of TV comedy legends the Smothers Brothers, dies at 86
- Experts share which social media health trends to leave behind in 2023 — and which are worth carrying into 2024
- Danny Masterson sent to state prison to serve sentence for rape convictions, mug shot released
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Spoilers! Why Zac Efron 'lost it' in emotional ending scene of new movie 'The Iron Claw'
- After lowest point, Jim Harbaugh has led Michigan to arguably the program's biggest heights
- 1-cent Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger's are available at Wendy's this week. Here's how to get one.
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- House where 4 University of Idaho students were killed is set to be demolished
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- John Oates is still 'really proud' of Hall & Oates despite ex-bandmate's restraining order
- Fantasy football rankings for Week 17: Healthy QBs hold keys to championship quest
- Fox News Radio and sports reporter Matt Napolitano dead at 33 from infection, husband says
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- A lesson in Barbie labor economics (Classic)
- Democratic mayors renew pleas for federal help and coordination with Texas over migrant crisis
- When will you die? Meet the 'doom calculator,' an artificial intelligence algorithm
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Fox News Radio and sports reporter Matt Napolitano dead at 33 from infection, husband says
Michigan Supreme Court rejects bid to keep Trump off 2024 primary ballot
High surf warnings issued for most of West Coast and parts of Hawaii; dangerous waves expected
'Most Whopper
Over 50 French stars defend Gérard Depardieu with essay amid sexual misconduct claims
No let-up in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza as Christmas dawns
Gypsy Rose Blanchard's release from prison latest twist in shocking Munchausen by Proxy case