Current:Home > reviewsSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Judge blocks removal of Confederate memorial from Arlington Cemetery, for now -Capitatum
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Judge blocks removal of Confederate memorial from Arlington Cemetery, for now
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 08:28:18
Falls Church,SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center Va. — A federal judge on Monday issued a temporary restraining order barring removal of a memorial to Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.
A group called Defend Arlington, affiliated with a group called Save Southern Heritage Florida, filed a lawsuit Sunday in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, seeking the restraining order. A hearing has been scheduled for Wednesday.
Work to remove the memorial had begun Monday before the restraining order was issued, but the memorial remains in place on cemetery grounds.
A cemetery spokesperson said Monday that Arlington is complying with the restraining order, but referred all other questions to the Justice Department.
The cemetery had said on Friday that it expected to complete the removal this week. It said the removal was required by Congress, and that it was complying with environmental and historic-preservation regulations.
But the lawsuit accused the Army, which runs the cemetery, of violating regulations in seeking a hasty removal of the memorial.
"The removal will desecrate, damage, and likely destroy the Memorial longstanding at ANC as a grave marker and impede the Memorial's eligibility for listing on the National Register of Historic Places," the lawsuit accuses.
The temporary restraining order issued Monday by U.S. District Judge Rossie Alston said that a lawyer for the plaintiffs represented to the court that the work at the memorial involves the disturbance of gravesites.
In a footnote, Alston wrote that he "takes very seriously the representations of officers of the Court and should the representations in this case be untrue or exaggerated the Court may take appropriate sanctions."
On Friday, the cemetery had said in its statement that "the area around the Memorial will be protected to ensure no impact to the surrounding landscape and grave markers."
Last week, a federal judge in the District of Columbia dismissed a lawsuit seeking to block removal of the memorial filed by the same plaintiffs. Alston, in his order issued Monday, told the parties to be prepared to discuss how that case affects his decision whether to extend his temporary restraining order beyond Wednesday.
David McCallister, a spokesman for the Florida heritage group, welcomed the judge's order while acknowledging it is only temporary. He said the current case differs from the one that was dismissed because they now have evidence that the work is being done in a way that disturbs grave sites.
Generally, he said the memorial promotes reconciliation between North and South, and removing it erodes that reconciliation.
The statue, unveiled in 1914, features a bronze woman, crowned with olive leaves, standing on a 32-foot pedestal, and was designed to represent the American South. According to Arlington, the woman holds a laurel wreath, a plow stock and a pruning hook, with a biblical inscription at her feet that says: "They have beat their swords into plough-shares and their spears into pruning hooks."
Some of the figures also on the statue include a Black woman depicted as "Mammy" holding what is said to be the child of a white officer, and an enslaved man following his owner to war.
Last year, an independent commission recommended the memorial be taken down as part of a report to Congress on renaming of military bases and assets that commemorate the Confederacy.
More than 40 House Republicans wrote to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin recently, arguing that the commission overstepped its authority when it recommended that the monument be removed.
Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin disagrees with the decision and plans to move the monument to the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park in the Shenandoah Valley, Youngkin spokeswoman Macaulay Porter said.
- In:
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Arlington
- Arlington Cemetery
- Conferderate
veryGood! (372)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Got your eclipse glasses? This nonprofit wants you to recycle them after April 8 eclipse
- Beyoncé stuns in country chic on part II of W Magazine's first-ever digital cover
- What causes earthquakes? The science behind why seismic events like today's New Jersey shakeup happen
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Earthquake centered near New York City rattles much of the Northeast
- Jordan Mailata: From rugby to earning $100-plus million in Eagles career with new contract
- The moon could get its own time zone. Here's why.
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Jordan Mailata: From rugby to earning $100-plus million in Eagles career with new contract
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Horoscopes Today, April 4, 2024
- Only Julia Fox Could Make Hair Extension Shoes Look Fabulous
- Workers sue to overturn law that exempts Atlantic City casinos from indoor smoking ban
- Small twin
- Flying with pets? Here's what to know.
- Pauly Shore and The Comedy Store sued for assault and battery by comedian Eliot Preschutti
- Sen. Jacky Rosen places $14 million ad reservation in key Nevada Senate race
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Man convicted in decades-long identity theft that led to his victim being jailed
Christian Combs, Diddy's son, accused of sexual assault in new lawsuit: Reports
Farmworker who survived mass shooting at Northern California mushroom farm sues company and owner
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
J. Cole drops surprise album 'Might Delete Later,' including response to Kendrick Lamar's diss
Part of a crane falls on Fort Lauderdale bridge, killing 1 person and injuring 3 others
Israel, U.S. believe Iran is about to retaliate for Israeli bombing of Syria consulate, officials say