Current:Home > MarketsCourt pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies -Capitatum
Court pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:48:58
NEW ORLEANS — A federal appeals court Friday temporarily paused a lower court's order limiting executive branch officials' communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
Biden administration lawyers had asked the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans to stay the preliminary injunction issued on July 4 by U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty. Doughty himself had rejected a request to put his order on hold pending appeal.
Friday's brief 5th Circuit order put Doughty's injunction on hold "until further orders of the court." It called for arguments in the case to be scheduled on an expedited basis.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden's son Hunter and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by former President Donald Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win their ongoing lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Department of Health and Human Services, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from "encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech."
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty's order posed a threat of "grave" public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation.
Doughty rejected the administration's request for a stay on Monday, writing: "Defendants argue that the injunction should be stayed because it might interfere with the Government's ability to continue working with social-media companies to censor Americans' core political speech on the basis of viewpoint. In other words, the Government seeks a stay of the injunction so that it can continue violating the First Amendment."
In its request that the 5th Circuit issue a stay, administration lawyers said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration. "The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content. Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to 'a series of public media statements,'" the administration said.
Friday's "administrative stay" was issued without comment by a panel of three 5th Circuit judges: Carl Stewart, nominated to the court by former President Bill Clinton; James Graves, nominated by former President Barack Obama; and Andrew Oldham, nominated by Trump. A different panel drawn from the court, which has 17 active members, will hear arguments on a longer stay.
veryGood! (629)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Frustrated Taylor Swift fans battle ticket bots and Ticketmaster
- Girlfriend of Illinois shooting suspect pleads not guilty to obstruction
- $700M man Shohei Ohtani is talk of Dodgers spring training: 'Can't wait to watch him play'
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Extreme Climate Impacts From Collapse of a Key Atlantic Ocean Current Could be Worse Than Expected, a New Study Warns
- Country Singer Parker McCollum and Wife Hallie Expecting First Baby
- Jennifer Garner jokingly calls out Mark Ruffalo, says he 'tried to drop out' of '13 Going on 30'
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- How Asian American and Pacific Islander athletes in the NFL express their cultural pride
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Pamela Anderson opens up about why she decided to ditch makeup
- Super Bowl 58 is a Raider Nation nightmare. Chiefs or 49ers? 'I hope they both lose'
- Inside Céline Dion's Rare Health Battle
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 'The Taste of Things' is a sizzling romance and foodie feast — but don't go in hungry
- Dartmouth men’s basketball team will hold union vote on March 5
- Police search for shooter after bystander shot inside Times Square store
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
56 years after death, Tennessee folk hero Buford Pusser's wife Pauline Pusser exhumed
Iceland volcano at it again with a third eruption in as many months
Republican lawmakers are backing dozens of bills targeting diversity efforts on campus and elsewhere
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Judge blocks Omaha’s ban on guns in public places while lawsuit challenging it moves forward
Why do women look for freelance, gig jobs? Avoiding the 'old boys network' at the office.
Taylor Swift Says Her Life Flashed Before Her Eyes After Almost Falling Off Eras Tour Cabin Set