Current:Home > StocksDetroit Pistons fire coach Monty Williams after one season that ended with NBA’s worst record -Capitatum
Detroit Pistons fire coach Monty Williams after one season that ended with NBA’s worst record
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-05 23:13:08
The Detroit Pistons fired coach Monty Williams on Wednesday after just one season that ended with an NBA-worst 14-68 record.
“Decisions like these are difficult to make, and I want to thank Monty for his hard work and dedication,” Pistons owner Tom Gores said in a statement. “Coaching has many dynamic challenges that emerge during a season and Monty always handled those with grace. However, after reviewing our performance carefully and assessing our current position as an organization, we will chart a new course moving forward.”
Last season was the first in what was a six-year, $78.5 million contract for Williams — one that, at the time, was the richest ever given to an NBA coach. The team started a front office rebuild when the season ended, including the hiring of Trajan Langdon as president of basketball operations, the departure of general manager Troy Weaver and now a vacancy at head coach.
The firing continues a wildly strange run for Williams. In 2021, as coach of the Suns, he went to the NBA Finals, where Phoenix led 2-0 before falling in six games to Milwaukee. In 2022, he was the NBA’s coach of the year in runaway voting. In 2023, the Suns fired him and now, in 2024, the Pistons have done the same.
The record for total value of a coaching contract has since been eclipsed; Miami gave Erik Spoelstra an eight-year extension worth $120 million earlier this year.
This was, by any measure, a disaster of a season for the Pistons. They started 2-1 and didn’t win another game for the next two months.
A 28-game losing streak, the longest ever in a single season in NBA history and tied for the longest ever when factoring in multiple seasons, turned the season into a debacle. The Pistons’ longest winning streak was two games (done on three occasions) and the roster was constantly in flux. Detroit used 31 different players over the course of the season and 36 different starting lineups and lost 39 times by double digits.
The vacancy in Detroit is the third active one in the NBA, with Cleveland and the Los Angeles Lakers still seeking coaches. The Pistons’ move comes a week before the start of the NBA draft, with Detroit set to make the fifth overall pick on June 26 — someone that should be able to further enhance a young core led by Cade Cunningham, Jaden Ivey and Jalen Duren.
Those players, all 22 or younger, were the only three Pistons to start at least 60 games this past season.
“We are unwavering in our commitment to bring a championship-caliber team to Detroit,” Gores said. “We will be diligent and swift in our search for a new head coach to lead our exciting young core of players and will continue our vision towards building a best-in-class front office that will help us achieve sustainable success.”
___
This story has been corrected to show that Williams’ contract was for six, not five, years.
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/NBA
veryGood! (728)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Want to be a writer? This bleak but buoyant guide says to get used to rejection
- 2023 Oscars Guide: International Feature
- In India, couples begin their legal battle for same-sex marriage
- Sam Taylor
- 'Children of the State' examines the American juvenile justice system
- Unlocking desire through smut; plus, the gospel of bell hooks
- Viola Davis achieves EGOT status with Grammy win
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Changes to new editions of Roald Dahl books have readers up in arms
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- 'Inside the Curve' attempts to offer an overview of COVID's full impact everywhere
- Sheryl Lee Ralph explains why she almost left showbiz — and what kept her going
- A Jeff Koons 'balloon dog' sculpture was knocked over and shattered in Miami
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- 2023 Oscars Guide: Original Song
- Rachael & Vilray share a mic — and a love of old swing standards
- Robert Blake, the actor acquitted in wife's killing, dies at 89
Recommendation
Small twin
Jimmy Kimmel expects no slaps hosting the Oscars; just snarky (not mean) jokes
Mr. Whiskers is ready for his close-up: When an artist's pet is also their muse
N.Y. Philharmonic chief looks to Gustavo 'Dudamel era' after historic appointment
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
'We Should Not Be Friends' offers a rare view of male friendship
M3GAN, murder, and mass queer appeal
Shlomo Perel, a Holocaust survivor who inspired the film 'Europa Europa,' dies at 98