Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:Moore says he made an ‘honest mistake’ failing to correct application claiming Bronze Star -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Moore says he made an ‘honest mistake’ failing to correct application claiming Bronze Star
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-05 21:28:07
ANNAPOLIS,SafeX Pro Md. (AP) — Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said Thursday he made “an honest mistake” in failing to correct a White House fellowship application 18 years ago when he wrote he had received a Bronze Star for his military service in Afghanistan though he never ended up receiving it, after the New York Times obtained a copy of the application and reported on it.
The newspaper, which obtained the document as part of a Freedom of Information Act request, reported that Moore made the claim on the application in 2006 when he was 27.
In a statement, the governor wrote that he had been encouraged to fill out the application for the fellowship by his deputy brigade commander serving overseas in the Army. At the time, Moore said the deputy brigade commander had recommended him for the Bronze Star — and told him to include the award on his application “after confirming with two other senior-level officers that they had also signed off on the commendation.”
Toward the end of his deployment, however, Moore said he was disappointed to learn he had not received the Bronze Star. When he returned home, Moore said he was “focused on helping my fellow veterans, a mission I continue to advance as governor.”
“Still, I sincerely wish I had gone back to correct the note on my application,” Moore, a Democrat, said in a statement Thursday. “It was an honest mistake, and I regret not making that correction.”
The Bronze Star is awarded to service members for meritorious service in combat zones.
The governor noted in his statement Thursday that he was listed as a top 1% officer in Operation Enduring Freedom in his officer evaluation report.
“My deputy brigade commander felt comfortable with instructing me to include the award on my application for the Fellowship because he received confirmation with the approval authority that the Bronze Star was signed and approved by his senior leadership,” Moore wrote.
The governor also wrote that in the military, “there is an understanding that if a senior officer tells you that an action is approved, you can trust that as a fact. That is why it was part of the application, plain and simple.”
The award had been mentioned during interviews with media when Moore was running for governor in 2022, but Moore never said in those interviews that he had not received the commendation. In an interview with the New York Times, the governor said for the first time that he regretted failing to correct the interviewers who had described him as a recipient of the award.
The newspaper also spoke to the officer who Moore said had recommended he put the award on his application this week in an interview arranged by Moore’s staff. The officer, Michael Fenzel, who is now a lieutenant general serving as the United States security coordinator for Israel and the Palestinian Authority, told The Times that Moore had first objected to the idea of mentioning the Bronze Star.
Fenzel said he had told Moore that he and others had approved the medal, and that it was appropriate to include it in his application, the newspaper reported, and that it would be processed by the time his fellowship began.
veryGood! (68446)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Harvey Weinstein UK indecent assault case dropped over chance of conviction
- An inspiration to inmates, country singer Jelly Roll performs at Oregon prison
- Abortion rights questions are on ballots in 9 states. Will they tilt elections?
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Pennsylvania voters can cast a provisional ballot if their mail ballot is rejected, court says
- Kansas City Chiefs superfan ChiefsAholic sent to prison for string of bank robberies
- Nevada high court ends casino mogul Steve Wynn’s defamation suit against The Associated Press
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Texas would need about $81.5 billion a year to end property taxes, officials say
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- 'Face the music': North Carolina man accused of $10 million AI-aided streaming fraud
- Chiefs look built to handle Super Bowl three-peat quest that crushed other teams
- Missouri judge says abortion-rights measure summary penned by GOP official is misleading
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Video game performers reach agreement with 80 video games on AI terms
- Trailer for 'A Minecraft Movie' starring Jack Black, Jason Momoa receives mixed reactions
- NFL Week 1 picks straight up and against spread: Will Jets or 49ers win on Monday night?
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
'Face the music': North Carolina man accused of $10 million AI-aided streaming fraud
Noah Centineo reveals when he lost his virginity. There's no right age, experts say.
Why you should add sesame seeds to your diet
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
New Mexico attorney general sues company behind Snapchat alleging child sexual extortion on the site
Rich Homie Quan, 'Type of Way' and Rich Gang rapper, dies at 34: Reports
Taylor Swift spotted at first Chiefs game of season to support Travis Kelce