Current:Home > NewsNYC officials clear another storefront illegally housing dozens of migrants in unsafe conditions -Capitatum
NYC officials clear another storefront illegally housing dozens of migrants in unsafe conditions
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 12:19:16
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City officials have cleared out a Bronx storefront illegally converted to house dozens of tenants that was run by the same person who operated one hosting as many as 70 migrants in a Queens furniture store.
The city Department of Buildings responded Wednesday to reports of an illegal conversion at a two-story commercial building in the borough’s Fordham neighborhood, WNBC reports.
Agency inspectors found 45 beds packed closely together on the first floor and basement of the building, along with extension cords, e-bikes, space heaters, hotplates and other fire hazards in the makeshift living quarters, the station reports.
City officials ordered the building vacated due to the “hazardous, life-threatening conditions” which included severe overcrowding and a lack of natural light and ventilation. The building’s landlord was also issued two violations for failure to maintain the building and for occupying the building contrary to city records.
The city’s Office of Emergency Management, which operates NYC’s migrant shelter system, is assisting displaced tenants, including referring people to asylum seeker services, according to WNBC.
The news station reports the storefront is run by Ebou Sarr, who operated a similar housing operation in Queens that was shut down Tuesday.
City officials ordered Sarr’s Wholesale Furniture vacated after finding the building’s first-floor commercial space and cellar had been converted into sleeping quarters, with 14 bunk beds and 13 beds tightly packed on both floors and able to fit about 41 people.
The native of Senegal had told reporters Tuesday that he was housing mostly migrant men from his West African nation and charging them $300 a month because they couldn’t afford a place to live after timing out of the city’s emergency shelter system for migrants.
No one answered phone numbers associated Sarr on Thursday and the city buildings department and emergency management office didn’t immediately respond to messages seeking comment.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Tom Stoltman wins World's Strongest Man competition for third time in four years
- How Larry Birkhead and Daughter Dannielynn Are Honoring Anna Nicole Smith's Legacy
- Frank Stella, artist known for his pioneering work in minimalism, dies at 87
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Many Florida women can’t get abortions past 6 weeks. Where else can they go?
- Two suspects arrested in fatal shooting on Delaware college campus are not students, police say
- Whoopi Goldberg says her mom didn't remember her after receiving electroshock therapy
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Associated Press images of migrants’ struggle are recognized with a Pulitzer Prize
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Brian Austin Green’s Ex Vanessa Marcil Slams “Stupid” Criticism Aimed at Megan Fox
- Aaron Hernandez's Fiancée Shayanna Jenkins Slams Cruel Tom Brady Roast Jokes About Late NFL Star
- Teacher Appreciation Week 2024: Freebies, deals, discounts for educators, plus gift ideas
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Kim Kardashian booed, Nikki Glaser pokes fun at Bridget Moynahan breakup at Tom Brady roast
- 'It was quite a show': Escaped zebra caught in Washington yard after 6 days on the run
- All 9 Drake and Kendrick Lamar 2024 diss songs, including 'Not Like Us' and 'Part 6'
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
When and where you can see the Eta Aquariids meteor shower peak
Suspect in custody after video recorded him hopping into a police cruiser amid gunfire
Lawsuit alleges decades of child sex abuse at Illinois juvenile detention centers statewide
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Minnesota lawmakers debate constitutional amendment to protect abortion and LGBTQ rights
Interstate 95 in Connecticut reopens after fiery gas tanker left it closed for days
'It was quite a show': Escaped zebra caught in Washington yard after 6 days on the run