Current:Home > ScamsSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Man attacked by shark at popular Australian surf spot, rushed to hospital -Capitatum
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Man attacked by shark at popular Australian surf spot, rushed to hospital
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 22:09:26
A man in his 40s was rushed to hospital Friday after he was attacked by a shark off a beach north of Sydney,Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center paramedics told AFP.
New South Wales Ambulance said the man had been bitten on his "upper and lower leg" while in the water at Lighthouse Beach, a popular surf spot made notorious by several shark attacks in recent years.
There was no immediate word on the man's condition.
Both great white sharks and aggressive bull sharks are known to prowl the waters around Lighthouse Beach, about four hours' drive from Sydney.
A 16-year-old girl was killed by a shark in Western Australia earlier this year, after jumping into the water near a river mouth to swim with a pod of dolphins.
A large great white shark mauled a British diving instructor to death as he swam near Sydney in February 2022. The International Shark Attack Files, a University of Florida group that aims to compile all known shark attacks, classified the attack on Simon Nellist as "provoked" because people were fishing nearby, which attracts sharks.
Across the globe, unprovoked shark bites have decreased over the past decade. In 2022, there were 57 unprovoked bites worldwide, which is significantly lower than the 10-year average of 74 unprovoked bites annually, according to the University of Florida's data.
"Encounters with sharks are extremely rare. An individual is far more likely to be struck by lightning than to be bitten by a shark," Dr. Robert Latour, professor of marine science at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, told CBS News.
The U.S. tops the charts when it comes to unprovoked shark bites, accounting for about 72% of those recorded worldwide in 2022, according to the University of Florida's records. Australia recorded the second-highest number of unprovoked shark bites in 2022, representing nearly 16% of the 2022 worldwide total.
Jennifer Earl contributed to this report.
- In:
- Shark Attack
- Australia
veryGood! (448)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Trump favors huge new tariffs. What are they, and how do they work?
- Safety board says pedals pilots use to steer Boeing Max jets on runways can get stuck
- 2024 PCCAs: Brandi Cyrus Reacts to Learning She and Miley Cyrus Are Related to Dolly Parton
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Kelsea Ballerini Reveals the Most Competitive Voice Coach
- Is there a better live sonic feast than Jeff Lynne's ELO? Not a chance.
- The Daily Money: How much house can I afford?
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Voting technology firm, conservative outlet reach settlement in 2020 election defamation case
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- How a Children’s Playground Is Helping With Flood Mitigation in a Small, Historic New Jersey City
- Miranda Lambert’s Advice to Her Younger Self Is So Relatable
- Mother pleads guilty in the death of her 5-year-old son whose body was found in a park
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 'Wolfs' review: George Clooney, Brad Pitt bring the charm, but little else
- Maggie Smith, Harry Potter and Downton Abbey Star, Dead at 89
- Emmanuel Littlejohn executed in Oklahoma despite clemency recommendation from state board
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose announces retirement
Travis Kelce's Ultimate Weakness Revealed—By His Mom Donna Kelce
In St. Marks, residents await Hurricane Helene's wrath
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
How Messi's Inter Miami qualified for the 2025 Concacaf Champions Cup
Selma Blair’s 13-Year-Old Son Arthur Is Her Mini-Me at Paris Fashion Week
Today Show’s Dylan Dreyer Shares Who Could Replace Hoda Kotb