Current:Home > NewsNew Hampshire man sentenced to minimum 56 years on murder, other charges in young daughter’s death -Capitatum
New Hampshire man sentenced to minimum 56 years on murder, other charges in young daughter’s death
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-05 22:49:06
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire man convicted of killing his 5-year-old daughter and moving her corpse around for months before disposing of it was sentenced Thursday to a minimum of 56 years in prison on murder and other changes.
That sentence will be added on to the minimum 32 1/2-year sentence Adam Montgomery, 34, began last year on unrelated gun charges, making it unlikely that he will ever get out of prison following his actions in the death of Harmony Montgomery. Police believe she was killed nearly two years before she was reported missing in 2021. Her body was never found.
Montgomery did not attend the trial in February. He was ordered by the judge to be in court Thursday after his lawyer asked for him to be excused, saying Montgomery has maintained his innocence on charges of second-degree murder, second-degree assault and witness tampering. He had admitted to abuse of a corpse and falsifying evidence.
His estranged wife, Kayla Montgomery, had testified that her family, including her two young sons with Adam Montgomery, had been evicted right before Thanksgiving in 2019 and were living in a car. She said on Dec. 7, Adam Montgomery punched Harmony Montgomery at several stop lights as they drove from a methadone clinic to a fast food restaurant because he was angry that the child was having bathroom accidents in the car.
After that, she said she handed food to the children in the car without checking on Harmony Montgomery and that the couple later discovered she was dead after the car broke down. She testified that her husband put the body in a duffel bag. She described various places where the girl’s body was hidden, including the trunk of a car, a cooler, a homeless center ceiling vent and the walk-in freezer at her husband’s workplace.
During Adam Montgomery’s trial, his lawyers suggested that Kayla continued to lie to protect herself. They said their client did not kill Harmony, and that Kayla Montgomery was the last person to see the child alive.
Kayla Montgomery testified that she didn’t come forward about the child’s death because she was afraid of her husband. She said Adam Montgomery suspected that she might go to the police, so he began punching her, giving her black eyes, she said. She eventually ran away from him in March 2021.
Kayla Montgomery was recently granted parole. She is expected to be released from prison soon after serving an 18-month sentence. She pleaded guilty to perjury charges related to the investigation into the child’s disappearance and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.
Adam Montgomery had custody of the girl. Her mother, Crystal Sorey, who was no longer in a relationship with him, said the last time she saw Harmony Montgomery was during a video call in April 2019. She eventually went to police, who announced they were looking for the missing child on New Year’s Eve 2021.
Harmony Montgomery’s case has exposed weaknesses in child protection systems and provoked calls to prioritize the well-being of children over parents in custody matters. Harmony was moved between the homes of her mother and her foster parents multiple times before Adam Montgomery received custody in 2019 and moved to New Hampshire.
Authorities plan to keep searching for the girl’s remains, believed to be along a route Adam Montgomery drove in a rental truck into Massachusetts in March 2020.
veryGood! (1136)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Firefighters in Hawaii fought to save homes while their own houses burned to the ground
- Everything Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt Have Said About Each Other Since Their 2005 Breakup
- Muslim mob attacks 3 churches after accusing Christian man of desecrating Quran in eastern Pakistan
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Drive a Ford, Honda or Toyota? Good news: Catalytic converter thefts are down nationwide
- Hailey Bieber Just Added a Dominatrix Twist to Her LBD
- 'Barbie' takes another blow with ban in Algeria 1 month after release
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Intel calls off $5.4b Tower deal after failing to obtain regulatory approvals
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Indiana test score results show nearly 1 in 5 third-graders struggle to read
- Who did the Fulton County D.A. indict along with Trump? Meet the 18 co-conspirators in the Georgia election case
- You Only Have 24 Hours To Get 59% Off a Limitless Portable Charger, Plus Free Shipping
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Soccer's GOAT might stick around for Paris Olympics. Yes, we're talking about Marta
- Leonard Bernstein's family defends appearance in Maestro nose flap
- Bolt was missing on police helicopter that crashed in South Carolina, report says
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
A marijuana legalization question will be on Ohio’s fall ballot after lawmakers failed to act on it
Patrick Hamilton, ex-AP and Reuters photographer who covered Central American wars, dies at 74
US attorney pleads with young men in New Mexico’s largest city: Stop the shooting
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Tennessee hostage situation ends with brothers killed, 4 officers and victim wounded
Keke Palmer Shades Darius Jackson in Music Video for Usher's Boyfriend
Who did the Fulton County D.A. indict along with Trump? Meet the 18 co-conspirators in the Georgia election case