Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-New Mexico Supreme Court reprimands judge who advised prosecutors in case involving his daughter -Capitatum
SignalHub-New Mexico Supreme Court reprimands judge who advised prosecutors in case involving his daughter
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 08:51:59
SANTA FE,SignalHub N.M. (AP) — The New Mexico Supreme Court has publicly censured a state judge in Las Cruces with for providing advice to prosecutors during a 2021 trial of a man accused of pointing an assault rifle at the judge’s daughter.
Third District Judge James Martin also was censured for allowing his daughter to wait in his chambers before she testified at the trial — which another judge presided over — and for having an inappropriate conversation with the prosecutors after Robert Burnham was convicted of aggravated assault by use of a firearm.
Martin accepted the court’s decision, the Supreme Court said. It said Martin “denied committing willful misconduct” but “viewed through the lens of hindsight ... recognizes the potential for appearance of impropriety based upon his conduct.”
The justices said their decision reached Nov. 13 was not selected for publication in the formal New Mexico Appellate Records. But it was made public this week and will be published in the New Mexico Bar Bulletin.
Martin did not immediately respond Thursday to The Associated Press’ requests for comment sent in an email and left in a telephone message at his office at the court, which was closed for the holiday.
Burnham is appealing the conviction stemming from the 2018 incident outside a Las Cruces bar he owned. He told police that he had recently won the rifle in a raffle and was just moving it inside his car.
The Supreme Court said after the first day of the two-day jury trial in 2021 before Third District Judge Steven Blankinship that Martin telephoned Assistant District Attorney Samuel Rosten and told him he should use the term “brandished a firearm” in his jury instructions instead of “pointed a firearm” at the alleged victim, Martin’s daughter.
The next day the prosecution followed that advice.
Following the conviction, Martin inquired as to whether Burnham had been remanded to custody while awaiting sentencing. When Martin learned that he had, he told the prosecutors, “Good thing he was remanded, otherwise I would have told you to go back in there and try again.”
Martin improperly allowed his daughter to be present for that conversation. He also improperly allowed his daughter to wait in his chambers down the hall while waiting to be called as a witness at the trial, the high court said.
The justices said Martin originally provided advice to the prosecutors because he recognized a legitimate mistake of law in their proposed jury instructions.
“Judge Martin believed that he was acting in his daughter’s best interest by pointing out the mistake. Judge Martin’s actions created an appearance of impropriety, which should not be ignored,” Chief Justice C. Shannon Bacon wrote in the decision joined by the four other justices.
“We issue this censure not only to remind judges of their responsibility to avoid the appearance of impropriety but also to ensure the public that our legal system is committed to maintaining an independent, fair and impartial judiciary under the law,” they said.
veryGood! (178)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- John Harrison: Reflections on a failed financial hunt
- Amanda Bynes Addresses Her Weight Gain Due to Depression
- What to know about Day of Visibility, designed to show the world ‘trans joy’
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Orlando city commissioner charged with spending 96-year-old woman’s money on a home, personal items
- Conjoined Twins Brittany and Abby Hensel Respond to Loud Comments After Josh Bowling Wedding Reveal
- As homeless crisis grows, states and cities are turning to voters for affordable housing
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Mining Fight on the Okefenokee Swamp’s Edge May Have Only Just Begun
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- CLFCOIN proactively embraces regulation in the new era
- A growing number of Americans end up in Russian jails. The prospects for their release are unclear
- LeBron James 'proud' to announce Duquesne's hire of Dru Joyce III, his high school teammate
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Search efforts paused after 2 bodies found in Baltimore bridge collapse, focus turns to clearing debris
- The Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse is impacting cruises and could cause up to $10 million in losses for Carnival
- California supervisor who tried to get rid of Shasta County vote-counting machines survives recall
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
John Harrison: Exploring multiple perspectives on artificial intelligence
This controversial Titanic prop has spawned decades of debate — and it just sold for $700,000
Appeals panel won’t order North Carolina Senate redistricting lines to be redrawn
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Louis Gossett Jr., 1st Black man to win supporting actor Oscar, dies at 87
How CLFCOIN Breaks Out as the Crypto Market Breaks Down
Score Up to 95% off at Nordstrom Rack's Clear the Rack Sale: Madewell, Kate Spade, Chloé & More