Current:Home > InvestNew York AG plans to call Trump and his adult sons as witnesses in upcoming trial -Capitatum
New York AG plans to call Trump and his adult sons as witnesses in upcoming trial
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 00:13:56
New York Attorney General Letitia James plans to call former President Donald Trump and his adult sons to the stand during their $250 million civil trial on fraud charges slated to start next week, according to a list of witnesses the AG has filed with the court.
In a pretrial ruling on Tuesday, a Judge Arthur Engoron ordered the cancelation of the Trump Organization's business certificates in the state after determining that Trump submitted "fraudulent valuations" for assets that were then used by himself, his eldest sons and his business to obtain better loan and insurance terms.
Still to be determined at trial is the question of what additional penalties Trump might face, as well as several causes of action included in the attorney general's suit.
MORE: Judge rules Trump engaged in repeated fraud, effectively deciding central question in $250M civil trial
Trump is currently slated to be the government's second-to-last witness in the AG's case.
The attorney general's witness list also includes Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen, Trump's daughter Ivanka Trump, co-defendants Allen Weisselberg and Jeffrey McConney, and multiple current and former Trump Organization executives.
The first witness they plan to call is Trump's former accountant Donald Bender of Mazars USA, which last year severed its business relationship with Trump after learning of the NYAG's findings. During the Trump Organization's 2022 criminal trial on charges of helping certain executives evade taxes, Bender testified that Trump reported massive losses on his tax returns, including losing a combined $1 billion between 2009 and 2010.
A Manhattan jury ultimately found the Trump Organization guilty of criminal tax fraud.
In total, the attorney general's office plans to call 28 witnesses to present their case in the upcoming trial, and also listed 25 additional witnesses they could use on rebuttal, according to the filing.
In their witness list, Trump and his co-defendants reserved the right to call over 130 witnesses for their case, including Trump and his adult sons.
While the witness lists were updated after Tuesday's ruling by the judge, they might change as the trial proceeds.
Trump attorney Alina Habba said Tuesday that Trump plans to immediately appeal what she called the judge's "fundamentally flawed" decision.
veryGood! (493)
Related
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Dr. Tim Johnson on finding a middle-ground in the abortion debate
- 2 men charged in October shooting that killed 12-year-old boy, wounded second youth in South Bend
- Jimbo Fisher's exorbitant buyout reminder athletes aren't ones who broke college athletics
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Michigan man pleads guilty to making violent threats against Jews
- Behati Prinsloo Shares Sweet New Photo of Her and Adam Levine’s Baby Boy
- 3 dead, 15 injured in crash between charter bus with high schoolers and semi-truck in Ohio
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Officials exhume the body of a Mississippi man buried without his family’s knowledge
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- The Excerpt podcast: Republicans face party turmoil, snow's impact on water in the West
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, Nov. 12, 2023
- McDonald's and Crocs are creating new shoes inspired by Hamburglar and Grimace. Cost: $75.
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- 3 crucial questions to ask yourself before taking Social Security in 2024
- New 'NCIS: Sydney' takes classic show down under: Creator teases release date, cast, more
- 3 murderers freed in Australia after court ruled out holding migrants indefinitely, minister says
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
The last government shutdown deadline ousted the House speaker. This week’s showdown could be easier
A 5-year-old child is raped. Mormon church stays silent. Then comes the truly shocking part.
Man arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after on-ice death of hockey player Adam Johnson
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
The SAG-AFTRA strike is over. Here are 6 things actors got in the new contract.
Blake Shelton Shares Insight Into Life in Oklahoma With Wife Gwen Stefani
2 men charged in October shooting that killed 12-year-old boy, wounded second youth in South Bend