Current:Home > InvestVideo of 73-year-old boarded up inside his apartment sparks investigation -Capitatum
Video of 73-year-old boarded up inside his apartment sparks investigation
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 01:35:56
HARVEY, Ill. (AP) — Rudolph Williams says he was home in a Chicago suburb when he realized the doors and windows to his courtyard-style apartment had been boarded up with plywood, locking him inside.
“I didn’t know exactly what was going on,” the 73-year-old said Monday in describing how he tried to open his blocked door. “What the hell?”
His ordeal — chronicled by his nephew on now-viral videos — has generated a firestorm of criticism about rental conditions at the dilapidated low-income apartment complex in Harvey, Illinois. People are also debating who’s to blame; and Mayor Christopher Clark has promised an investigation.
City officials, residents and the property management company have conflicting accounts about what happened Friday at the 30-unit complex roughly 30 miles (48.28 kilometers) south of Chicago.
It started that afternoon when crews without any logos on their clothing or vehicles started boarding up units. Residents say they weren’t warned and that the workers ignored residents telling them people were still inside. City officials say police were on site earlier in the day and performed well-being checks, but not when units were set to be boarded up. The property managers claim the units were empty before they started boarding up units at the city’s direction.
No injuries were reported.
Genevieve Tyler, who said she was recently laid off from her meat factory job, was home when she heard noises outside and ran for a second door in her apartment looking to escape because she thought it was a break-in. That’s when she said she came upon crews boarding up her windows.
“I feel sick,” she said, adding that she was too scared to return home for two days. “I’m still sad.”
The complex, which is in clear disrepair, has been on the city’s radar for months.
One of the two buildings has no heat, with residents using stoves and space heaters to keep warm. A set of stairs has collapsed and is blocked to pedestrians. There is garbage everywhere: broken furniture, a large dumbbell and liquor bottles.
There have also been numerous safety issues involving drugs and crime. Police were called to the property more than 300 times last year, according to Harvey Police Chief Cameron Biddings.
City officials say the property owners were warned about the unsafe conditions and urged to make changes. The landlords were then notified that people had to evacuate by Oct. 28 and told to let residents know.
However, only some residents say they got the message. Others who were notified say they were skeptical of the documents’ legitimacy. Some got letters on official city letterhead saying they had to leave due to the safety risk, while others received papers from the property managers that said the building would be shut down.
James Williams, Rudolph’s nephew, who lives with him at the property, said a bunch of notices were strewn around the courtyard.
He and other people on site helped free his uncle from the apartment Friday evening, partly by using a drill, he said.
Phone and text messages left Monday for the California-based building owners were not immediately returned. They hired property management company, Chicago Style Management, in November.
Tim Harstead with Chicago Style Management disputed Williams’ account, saying crews found one unauthorized person who left before they started boarding up units.
“A lot of people in that area are squatters and trying to stay there,” he said.
On Monday, Mayor Clark and other city officials toured the complex, which lies off a busy street in the community of 20,000.
In a series of interviews, Clark reluctantly acknowledged that people were still inside their units when the apartments started being shuttered, but he said he wanted to hear directly from residents rather than via social media videos.
The city played no role in boarding up the apartments, he said, pledging that city police would investigate and might turn the matter over to the state’s attorney or Illinois attorney general. Criticism of the city on social media was misdirected, he said.
“It’s horrible,” Clark said. “What’s even more horrible is the fact that they would attribute that to people who are trying to actually help the situation versus the people who actually put them in this situation.”
At least one city official, Alderman Tyrone Rogers, told media outlets over the weekend that residents’ claims were a “total exaggeration.” He did not return messages Monday from The Associated Press.
Some residents, including 34-year-old Loren Johnson, left last month. He said the shutdown notice scared him off as did the broken heating and criminal activity.
“They don’t do anything, but they take full rent,” he said of the landlords.
Roughly half a dozen residents remained on Monday, saying they look out for each other.
Mary Brooks, 66, lives in one of the few apartments that wasn’t boarded up.
She described herself as a cancer survivor with mental health issues who has nowhere else to go. She also said she has tried to reach city officials multiple times about the complex over her nearly four years of living there, a complaint she shared with the mayor when he visited her at home Monday.
“Nobody pays attention to the poor,” she said. “Nobody cares until something happens.”
veryGood! (25)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Iran strikes targets in northern Iraq and Syria as regional tensions escalate
- Stock market today: Asian shares sink as jitters over Chinese markets prompt heavy selling
- Washington state sues to block proposed merger of Kroger and Albertsons grocery chains
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Who is Guatemala’s new president and can he deliver on promised change?
- European Court of Human Rights rules against Greece in 2014 fatal shooting of a Syrian man
- Summer House's Sam Feher and Kory Keefer Break Up After Over a Year of Dating
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Ariana DeBose reacts to Bella Ramsey's Critics Choice Awards dig: 'I didn’t find it funny'
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- A blast at a tire and explosives factory in Serbia kills 1 person and injures 4
- New mud volcanoes discovered in Caribbean island of Trinidad after small eruption
- Check In to Check Out the Ultimate White Lotus Gift Guide
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Horoscopes Today, January 14, 2024
- Summer House's Sam Feher and Kory Keefer Break Up After Over a Year of Dating
- Police search for suspect after man is lit on fire in Washington D.C. near Capitol
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Why Sharon Osbourne Doesn't Regret Ozempic After Cautioning Against It
Ahead of the Iowa caucuses, Republican candidates tap voters' economic frustrations
What Pedro Pascal Had to Say About Kieran Culkin at Emmys
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
A surgeon general report once cleared the air about smoking. Is it time for one on vaping?
This Inside Look at the 2023 Emmys After-Parties Will Make You Feel Like You Were Really There
Palestinian ambassador to UN calls on Non-Aligned Movement to pressure Israel to enforce cease-fire