Current:Home > ContactNovaQuant-Boeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Boeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 00:51:56
Boeing has indefinitely delayed next month's launch of its Starliner capsule — which would have NovaQuantcarried the first humans — after engineers found several worrying problems.
These included the use of "hundreds of feet" of adhesive tape that's flammable and defects with the spacecraft's parachute system. Boeing made the announcement late Thursday at a hastily-called news conference with NASA officials.
It's the latest setback for Boeing which has been plagued by years of development delays and has yet to fly its first crewed Starliner mission.
After the space shuttle was retired in 2011, NASA needed a way to ferry people to and from the International Space Station. In 2014, NASA awarded Boeing more than $4 billion under its Commercial Crew program to build the capsule. At the same time, NASA also selected SpaceX to build and design a competing system which has already sent humans into space ten times (including seven missions for NASA).
Starliner has flown twice. The first mission, in 2019, failed to reach the I.S.S. after its on-board clock malfunctioned. The second test flight, in 2022, did dock with the I.S.S. and was deemed a success. Boeing had been working towards a July 21 launch to send two NASA astronauts to the I.S.S. This mission has been delayed several times and this latest setback is concerning.
Just weeks before the launch attempt, Boeing managers determined that adhesive tape used to wrap and protect hundreds of yards of wiring inside the capsule could be flammable under certain circumstances.
In addition, the lines connecting the capsule to its trio of parachutes were not as strong as Boeing believed. During landing, it's possible that some of the lines could have snapped - potentially endangering the crew. Starliner is designed to land with just two parachutes. But if one parachute failed - the others could have too.
For all of these reasons, Boeing vice president and Starliner program manager Mark Nappi told reporters the company was standing down, "Safety is always our top priority and that drives this decision." A future test flight date is unknown.
Nappi says they'll take the next several weeks to investigate the design issues and come up with potential solutions. For now, Boeing says it's fully committed to the program and has no plans to stop developing Starliner despite being years behind schedule.
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- More than 100 dolphins found dead in Brazilian Amazon as water temperatures soar
- National Taco Day deals: Where to get free food, discounts on Wednesday
- Mavs and Timberwolves play in Abu Dhabi as Gulf region’s influence with the NBA grows
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Late night TV is back! We rank their first episodes
- Swiss LGBTQ+ rights groups hail 60-day sentence for polemicist who called journalist a ‘fat lesbian’
- Judge blocks Wisconsin school district policy allowing students to choose their pronouns
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 13 Halloween-Inspired Outfits That Are Just as Spooky and Stylish as Costumes
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Taiwan issues rain and strong wind alerts for Typhoon Koinu that’s approaching the island
- Sofía Vergara's Suncare-First Beauty Line Is Toty Everything You Need to Embrace Your Belleza
- NFL Week 4 winners, losers: Bengals in bad place with QB Joe Burrow
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- A government shutdown in Nigeria has been averted after unions suspended a labor strike
- 2 workers conducting polls for Mexico’s ruling party killed, 1 kidnapped in southern Mexico
- Man convicted of stealing $1.9 million in COVID-19 relief money gets more than 5 years in prison
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Seahawks safety Jamal Adams leaves with concussion in first game in a year
All 10 drugs targeted for Medicare price negotiations will participate, the White House says
Court reviews gun-carry restrictions under health order in New Mexico, as states explore options
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
John Legend blocks Niall Horan from 'divine' 4-chair win on 'The Voice': 'Makes me so upset'
Schumer to lead a bipartisan delegation of senators to China, South Korea and Japan next week
The Latest Glimpse of Khloe Kardashian's Son Tatum Thompson Might Be the Cutest Yet