Current:Home > ScamsBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Capitatum
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:31:41
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (35131)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Climate Jobs Are Ramping Up, But a ‘Just Transition’ Is Necessary to Ensure Equity, Experts Say
- 17-year-old girl killed in Tallahassee tornado outbreak, marks storm's 2nd known death
- Chicago Tribune staffers’ unequal pay lawsuit claims race and sex discrimination
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Chicago Tribune staffers’ unequal pay lawsuit claims race and sex discrimination
- Cougar scares Washington family, chases pets in their backyard: Watch video of encounter
- Israel-Hamas war protesters temporarily take over building on University of Chicago campus
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- College awards popular campus cat with honorary doctor of litter-ature degree
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Paul Schrader felt death closing in, so he made a movie about it
- What to do when facing extended summer power outages
- A man killed by Phoenix police in a shootout was a suspect in a fatal shooting hours earlier
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Saturday Night Live’s Chloe Fineman Addresses “Mean” Criticism of Her Cannes Look
- What would Lisa Simpson do? NYU student protesters asked to ponder ethical issues
- 17-year-old girl killed in Tallahassee tornado outbreak, marks storm's 2nd known death
Recommendation
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
An abortion rights initiative makes the ballot in conservative South Dakota
Scottie Scheffler emerges from wild PGA Championship ordeal looking like a real person
Tick season has arrived. Protect yourself with these tips
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Death Valley visitor admits to damaging 113-year-old tower in an act of 'desperation'
The unofficial spokesman for the American muscle car, Tim Kuniskis, is retiring
U.S. governors urge Turks and Caicos to release Americans as Florida woman becomes 5th tourist arrested for ammo in luggage