Current:Home > MarketsTV Host Jesse Baird and Luke Davies Murder Case: Police Find Bodies of Missing Couple -Capitatum
TV Host Jesse Baird and Luke Davies Murder Case: Police Find Bodies of Missing Couple
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 07:50:31
An Australian murder investigation has a heartbreaking development.
Over a week after Jesse Baird, 26, and his boyfriend Luke Davies, 29, went missing in New South Wales (NSW), police believe they found the bodies of the two men. The update in case comes after their suspected murderer, 28-year-old police officer Beaumont Lamarre-Condon, who previously dated Baird, disclosed the location of the bodies.
"We are very confident that we have located Luke and Jesse," NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb said during a press conference on Feb. 27. "This information did come with the assistance of the accused, for which we are very grateful and I'm sure the families are very grateful."
Detective Superintendent Daniel Doherty said during the conference that the bodies were discovered in two surf bags covered in debris on a property in the town of Bungonia.
Baird and Davies were last seen in Baird's home on Feb. 19. Fears for their safety then arose after some of their belongings were discovered bloodied in a skip container about 18 miles away, per CNN. The outlet also reported that Lamarre-Condon was subsequently arrested and charged with the couple's murder on Feb. 22 after a "projectile" and a fired cartridge that matched the officer's police-issued firearm were found in Baird's home.
According to CBS News, police suspect that Lamarre-Condon first dumped the bodies on Feb. 20 with the assistance of an unnamed acquaintance—who police clarified was not an accomplice and was unaware of what they were transporting. He then allegedly returned the following day to move the bodies a second time, fearing the acquaintance would reveal details about where they'd gone.
Lamarre-Condon appeared in court on Feb. 22 where he was refused bail, per the BBC. He reportedly has not commented on the charges against him at this time.
The case is believed to be the first murder carried out by an NSW police officer in decades and has spurred a review of the gun handling procedures that allowed the officer to sign out his pistol to be allegedly used in the crime while off duty, per the BBC.
"We're in this position that a police firearm was used and that can never happen again," Commissioner Webb said. "We have to look to ways to mitigate that risk in whatever way we can."
Though the crime was believed to be one of passion, the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras organizers have asked that police not participate in their annual parade in just a few days.
Though Webb and organizers met on Feb. 26 and held a "very respectful" discussion about the decision, per CBS, the board has decided to stand by its decision, which it said in a statement "was not made lightly."
The statement continued, "especially considering that many NSW Police members who participate in the Parade are also members of the LGBTQIA+ community and are navigating the impact of this tragedy alongside us. However, we believe that their participation at this year's event could intensify the current feelings of sorrow and distress."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (1)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Dolly Parton pays tribute to late '9 to 5' co-star Dabney Coleman: 'I will miss him greatly'
- Former Florida signee Jaden Rashada sues coach Billy Napier and others over failed $14M NIL deal
- Kids often fear 'ugly and creepy' cicadas. Teachers know how to change their minds.
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Elvis' Graceland faces foreclosure auction; granddaughter Riley Keough sues to block sale
- Don't want your Hinge or banking app visible: Here's how to hide an app on iPhone
- Explore Minnesota tourism capitalizes on Anthony Edwards' viral Bring ya a** comment
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Attorneys stop representing a Utah mom and children’s grief author accused of killing her husband
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Bad weather hampers search for 2 who went over waterfall in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area
- 15 Hidden Home Finds That Prove Walmart Is the Best Place for Affordable Furniture
- Report says home affordability in Hawaii is ‘as bad as it’s ever been’
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Significant Environmental and Climate Impacts Are Impinging on Human Rights in Every Country, a New Report Finds
- They couldn't move their hands for years. A new device offers the promise of mobility.
- Jennifer Lopez Puts Her Wedding Ring on Display on Red Carpet Amid Ben Affleck Breakup Rumors
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Run, Don’t Walk to Zappos' Memorial Day Shoe Sale, Including Hoka, Birkenstocks & More Up to 70% off
Driver was going 131 mph before wreck that killed Illinois 17-year-old ahead of graduation: Police
Georgia’s auto port has its busiest month ever after taking 9,000 imports diverted from Baltimore
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
‘Justice demands’ new trial for death row inmate, Alabama district attorney says
Michigan county refused to certify vote, prompting fears of a growing election threat this fall
11 presumed dead, 9 rescued after fishing boat sinks off the coast of South Africa