Current:Home > reviewsSurpassing:Ex-Philippine President Duterte summoned by prosecutor for allegedly threatening a lawmaker -Capitatum
Surpassing:Ex-Philippine President Duterte summoned by prosecutor for allegedly threatening a lawmaker
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:14:41
MANILA,Surpassing Philippines (AP) — Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, known for his crackdown on illegal drugs that left thousands of suspects dead, has been summoned by a prosecutor to answer a separate allegation that he recently threatened a female lawmaker with death, the complainant said Wednesday.
It was the first known subpoena for a criminal complaint issued to Duterte since his stormy six-year presidential term ended in June last year.
Rep. France Castro, who filed the criminal complaint against the former president, said in a statement that she and Duterte were jointly ordered to appear before a government prosecutor in suburban Quezon city in the capital region on Dec. 4 and 11 to submit their statements at the start of an investigation into her complaint.
There was no immediate comment from Duterte, 78, who has retired from politics and now lives mostly in his hometown, Davao city.
Castro said the former president spoke in a TV show from Davao last month about a request by his daughter, Vice President Sara Duterte, to Congress for intelligence funds which drew criticism from left-wing groups and legislators, including Castro.
Castro said the ex-president suggested to his daughter that the intelligence funds should be used to target communists, mentioning the name France, and added that he wanted them killed.
She said that even though Duterte only mentioned her first name, he was clearly referring to her.
Castro told reporters that she feared for her life given Duterte’s continuing influence.
“I got really nervous considering his influence and track record,” Castro told The Associated Press.
Sara Duterte, who also serves as education secretary, has decided to shelve her request for 500 million pesos (nearly $9 million) in intelligence funds next year amid growing criticism. Such funds are normally used by law enforcement agencies.
Shortly after being elected to the presidency in 2016, Duterte expanded nationwide his deadly campaign against illegal drugs which he had started when he was mayor of Davao city.
More than 6,000 mostly petty drug dealers were killed in the campaign. The International Criminal Court has been investigating the killings as a possible crime against humanity.
Duterte denied ordering extra-judicial killings when he was in office, but openly threatened to kill drug traffickers and other criminal suspects in televised speeches.
veryGood! (8658)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Small plane crashes in Pennsylvania neighborhood. It’s not clear if there are any injuries
- 3 killed, 9 injured in hangar collapse at Boise airport, officials say
- Florida House votes to loosen child labor laws a year after tougher immigrant employment law enacted
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- No quick relief: Why Fed rate cuts won't make borrowing easier anytime soon
- Federal investigators examining collapsed Boise airplane hangar that killed 3
- Satellite images show massive atmospheric river that is barreling over the West Coast
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Mike Martin, record-setting Florida State baseball coach, dies after fight with dementia
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Florida Senate sends messages to Washington on budget, foreign policy, term limits
- Heidi Klum’s NSFW Story Involving a Popcorn Box Will Make You Cringe
- NCAA recorded nearly $1.3 billion in revenue in 2023, putting net assets at $565 million
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- US jobs report for January is likely to show that steady hiring growth extended into 2024
- A year after Ohio train derailment, families may have nowhere safe to go
- Ellen Gilchrist, 1984 National Book Award winner for ‘Victory Over Japan,’ dies at 88
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Arkansas police chief arrested and charged with kidnapping
Hootie & the Blowfish Singer Darius Rucker Arrested on Drug Charges
Investigation into killings of 19 burros in Southern California desert hits possible breakthrough
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Georgia restricts Fulton County’s access to voter registration system after cyber intrusion
The crane attacked potential mates. But then she fell for her keeper
Netflix reveals first look at 'Squid Game' Season 2: What we know about new episodes