Current:Home > ContactWoman sues ex-Grammys CEO for sexual assault and accuses Recording Academy of negligence -Capitatum
Woman sues ex-Grammys CEO for sexual assault and accuses Recording Academy of negligence
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 10:43:35
NEW YORK (AP) — A woman filed a lawsuit Wednesday against former Grammy Awards CEO Neil Portnow, accusing him of a 2018 sexual assault, and against the Recording Academy for negligence.
The woman, who was not named, filed the lawsuit in state Supreme Court in Manhattan under the Adult Survivors Act. The measure, passed last year, created a temporary window for those who allege sexual assault to file past the state’s usual deadlines.
In the lawsuit, the woman, described as an internationally known musician who once played at Carnegie Hall, said she met Portnow in early 2018 and had set up a meeting to interview him at his hotel in New York City later that year. She said he gave her something to drink at the meeting that made her intermittently lose consciousness and that he then proceeded to assault her.
A spokesperson for Portnow, who stepped down as the CEO in 2019, said in an email that the accusations were “completely false” and “undoubtedly motivated by Mr. Portnow’s refusal to comply with the Plaintiff’s outrageous demands for money and assistance in obtaining a residence visa for her.”
The woman said in the lawsuit that she had reached out to the Academy in late 2018 about Portnow. In a statement, the Academy said, “We continue to believe the claims to be without merit and intend to vigorously defend the Academy in this lawsuit.”
Word of the allegations first came to light in 2020, after Portnow had stepped down. His successor, Deborah Dugan, was ousted after mere months and spoke of the accusation against him in filing a complaint against the Academy.
veryGood! (17239)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Driver in Malibu crash that killed 4 Pepperdine students pleads not guilty to murder
- What to know about Maine's gun laws after Lewiston mass shooting
- Who is Robert Card? Confirmed details on Maine shooting suspect
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Wife of ex-Alaska Airlines pilot says she’s in shock after averted Horizon Air disaster
- Patrick Dempsey Speaks Out on Mass Shooting in His Hometown of Lewiston, Maine
- Bar struck by Maine mass shooting mourns victims: In a split second your world gets turn upside down
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Grand jury indicts Illinois man on hate crime, murder charges in attack on Muslim mom, son
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Wisconsin Republicans back bill outlawing race- and diversity-based university financial aid
- Man indicted on murder charge 23 years after girl, mother disappeared in West Virginia
- What happened during the Maine shootings last night? A timeline of the tragedy
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Huawei reports its revenue inched higher in January-September despite US sanctions
- Attorneys for Mel Tucker, Brenda Tracy agree on matter of cellphone messages
- Billboard Music Awards 2023 Finalists: See the Complete List
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Who is Robert Card? Man wanted for questioning in Maine mass shooting
'Naked Attraction' offers low-hanging fruit
Farmington police release video from fatal shooting of armed man on Navajo reservation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Israel strikes outskirts of Gaza City during second ground raid in as many days
Taylor Swift Has a Mastermind Meeting With Deadpool 3’s Shawn Levy and Ryan Reynolds
5 people found shot to death in North Carolina home: This is not normal for our community