Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Belarus sentences independent newspaper editor to 4 years in prison -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Belarus sentences independent newspaper editor to 4 years in prison
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 15:00:40
TALLINN,Burley Garcia Estonia (AP) — Belarusian authorities on Friday convicted the chief editor of a prominent independent regional newspaper of “discrediting the Republic of Belarus” and sentenced him to four years in prison, as the country continues its crackdown on dissent.
A court in Molodechno, a city in central Belarus, also ordered Aliaksandr Mantsevich, chief editor of the popular Regionalnaya Gazeta newspaper, to pay a fine of 94,000 Belarusian rubles (about $30,000), the Belarusian Association of Journalists reported.
The authorities accused Mantsevich and his newspaper of using content that had been declared extremist — a label loosely applied in recent years to any materials critical of the Belarusian government.
Belarus was rocked by mass protests after a disputed presidential election in which authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko was declared the winner, giving him a sixth term in office. The protests lasted for months, the largest and most prolonged show of dissent since Lukashenko came to power in 1994 and began repressing independent news media and opposition.
Lukashenko unleashed harsh measures against the protesters, with police detaining some 35,000 people and beating thousands. The multi-pronged crackdown also targeted independent journalists, human rights groups and activists. Multiple independent news outlets have been blocked. Some have been outlawed as extremists.
The Regionalnaya Gazeta newspaper was being published in Molodechno since 1995 and has remained a popular independent source of news in the central and western parts of Belarus.
After the 2020 protests, its newsroom has been subject to several raids, during which the authorities confiscated some of its equipment. The print edition of the newspaper ceased to exist in July 2021, and in January 2022 its website was declared extremist and blocked.
Mantsevich, 65, was detained in March 2023 and has spent eight months in pre-trial detention, where his health significantly deteriorated, the Viasna human rights group reported. He has maintained his innocence and in a closing statement in court said that he was “proud of my newspaper.”
“I’m not a dreamer, but I’m sure that at some point in the city (of Molodechno) will appear a street named after our newspaper, which strengthened the authority of the Belarusian people, lived through the concerns of our readers and wrote the truth,” he said.
According to the Belarusian Association of Journalists, a total of 33 journalists are currently behind bars in Belarus.
Belarus’ opposition leader in exile, Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, denounced Mantsevich’s sentence as “absurd.”
“The editor of Regionalnaya Gazeta was punished just for fulfilling his journalistic duty,” she said. “I condemn this sham trial and demand his release.”
veryGood! (284)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Going once, going twice: Google’s millisecond ad auctions are the focus of monopoly claim
- Indianapolis man gets 60 years for a road rage shooting that killed a man
- Why Britney Spears Will Likely Still Pay Child Support to Ex Kevin Federline After Jayden's 18th Birthday
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Harry Styles Debuts Mullet Haircut In Rare Public Appearance During 2024 London Fashion Week
- The Best Amazon Fashion Deals Right Now: 72% Off Sweaters, $13 Dresses, $9 Tops & More
- Texas’ battle against deer disease threatens breeding industry
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- The Daily Money: Weird things found in hotel rooms
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Trump Media stock jumps after former president says he won’t sell shares when lockup expires
- Oregon DMV mistakenly registered more than 300 non-citizens to vote since 2021
- Actors and fans celebrate the ‘Miami Vice’ television series’ 40th anniversary in Miami Beach
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Texas’ battle against deer disease threatens breeding industry
- California pair convicted in Chinese birth tourism scheme
- Barry Keoghan Confesses He Doesn't Have Normal Relationship With Son Brando
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Young climate activists ask US Supreme Court to revive their lawsuit against the government
Fast-moving fire roars through Philadelphia warehouse
Perfect Couple Star Eve Hewson Is Bono's Daughter & More Surprising Celebrity Relatives
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
North Carolina absentee ballots release, delayed by RFK Jr. ruling, to begin late next week
Why Britney Spears Will Likely Still Pay Child Support to Ex Kevin Federline After Jayden's 18th Birthday
Universities of Wisconsin adopt viewpoint-neutral policy for college leaders