Current:Home > reviewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Around 3,000 jobs at risk at UK’s biggest steelworks despite government-backed package of support -Capitatum
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Around 3,000 jobs at risk at UK’s biggest steelworks despite government-backed package of support
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 11:44:03
LONDON (AP) — Around 3,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center000 workers at Britain’s biggest steelworks face the prospect of losing their jobs as part of a government-backed package Friday to make the plant “greener.”
In an announcement, the British government confirmed widespread speculation that it is to pump up to 500 million pounds ($620 million) into the Port Talbot steelworks in south Wales.
Tata, the Indian conglomerate that owns the steelworks, will use the funding to help switch the plant’s two coal-fired blast furnaces to electric arc versions that can run on zero-carbon electricity.
“This proposal is a landmark moment for maintaining ongoing U.K. steel production, supporting sustainable economic growth, cutting emissions and creating green jobs,” said Treasury chief Jeremy Hunt.
Tata, which employs around 8,000 people across the U.K., will also invest around 750 million pounds into the project, but cautioned that the plans will lead to consultations over a “deep potential restructuring” — code for job losses.
In a separate statement Friday, Britain’s Department for Business and Trade said the deal will only safeguard around 5,000 jobs out of Tata’s total workforce.
Tata said the deal lays out a future for sustainable steel-making in the area and committed to undertake a “meaningful” consultation with unions.
“With the support of the U.K. government and dedicated efforts of the employees of Tata Steel U.K. along with all stakeholders, we will work to transform Tata Steel UK into a green, modern, future-ready business,” said Tata Steel’s chief executive and managing director, TV Narendran.
The deal comes two months after Tata confirmed plans to build a 4 billion-pound battery factory in the U.K. after also getting subsidies from the government.
Unions were furious about the potential job losses.
“The cost to local people and the wider Port Talbot community will be immense,” said Gary Smith, general secretary of the GMB trade union. “Once again, we have the spectacle of leaders talking up the fantasy land of a ‘just transition’ while the bitter reality for workers is them getting the sack.”
The 1.25 billion-pound furnaces are expected to be up and running within three years of getting regulatory and planning approvals.
Tata warned last year that its U.K. operations were under threat unless it secured government funding to help it move to less carbon-intensive electric arc furnaces.
Luke Murphy, head of the fair transition unit at the Institute for Public Policy Research think tank, said the government had “ignored or abandoned” the interests of unions and workers.
“The use of coal in steelmaking must come to an end but this looks like a bad deal for workers, the wider community in Port Talbot, and for Britain,” he said.
He noted that Germany has invested over $53 billion in decarbonising heavy industry and has committed to work with unions and protect jobs.
“The U.K. has nothing like the scale of this commitment and has done nothing to make conditions more favourable for investment,” he added.
veryGood! (156)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Singapore Airlines jet endured huge swings in gravitational force during turbulence, report says
- Poland’s leader says the border with Belarus will be further fortified after a soldier is stabbed
- The love in Bill Walton's voice when speaking about his four sons was unforgettable
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Selena Gomez reveals she'd planned to adopt a child at 35 if she was still single
- Ohio House pairs fix assuring President Biden is on fall ballot with foreign nationals giving ban
- Paramore, Dua Lipa, more celebs call for ceasefire in Israel-Hamas war: 'Cannot support a genocide'
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Polish man sentenced to life in Congo on espionage charges has been released and returned to Europe
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- AP interview: Divisions among the world’s powerful nations are undermining UN efforts to end crises
- House Ethics Committee investigating indicted Rep. Henry Cuellar
- South Africa’s president faces his party’s worst election ever. He’ll still likely be reelected
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- NRA can sue ex-NY official it says tried to blacklist it after Parkland shooting, Supreme Court says
- Renewable Energy Wins for Now in Michigan as Local Control Measure Fails to Make Ballot
- Not-so-happy meal: As fast food prices surge, many Americans say it's become a luxury
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Authorities arrest man allegedly running ‘likely world’s largest ever’ cybercrime botnet
Poland’s leader says the border with Belarus will be further fortified after a soldier is stabbed
Google to invest $2 billion in Malaysian data center and cloud hub
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
'Couples Therapy': Where to watch Season 4, date, time, streaming info
Plaza dedicated at the site where Sojourner Truth gave her 1851 ‘Ain’t I a Woman?’ speech
Early results in South Africa’s election put ruling ANC below 50% and short of a majority