Current:Home > MyCalifornia governor rejects bill to give unemployment checks to striking workers -Capitatum
California governor rejects bill to give unemployment checks to striking workers
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:14:13
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California won’t be giving unemployment checks to workers on strike, with Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom vetoing a bill Saturday that had been inspired by high-profile work stoppages in Hollywood and the hotel industry.
Newsom, a Democrat, says he supports workers and often benefits from campaign contributions from labor unions. But he said he vetoed this bill because the fund the state uses to pay unemployment benefits will be nearly $20 billion in debt by the end of the year.
“Now is not the time to increase costs or incur this sizable debt,” Newsom wrote in a veto message.
The fund the state uses to pay unemployment benefits is already more than $18 billion in debt. That’s because the fund ran out of money and had to borrow from the federal government during the pandemic, when Newsom ordered most businesses to close and caused a massive spike in unemployment. The fund was also beset by massive amounts of fraud that cost the state billions of dollars.
Plus, labor unions said unemployment benefits are good for the economy, allowing workers on strike to still spend money and support local businesses.
“That money is going to corner stores, to restaurants, to caterers, to nail salons, to the small businesses that are also struggling along with workers who are on strike,” Sarah Flocks, legislative and strategic campaign director for the California Labor Federation, told lawmakers during a public hearing earlier this month.
The bill would have let workers who were on strike for at least two weeks receive unemployment checks from the state, which can be as much as $450 per week. Normally, only workers who lost their job through no fault of their own are eligible for those benefits.
Labor unions had argued the amount of workers on strike for more than two weeks is so small it would not have had a significant impact on the state’s unemployment trust fund. Of the 56 strikes in California over the past decade, only two lasted longer than two weeks, according to Democratic state Sen. Anthony Portantino, the author of the bill.
The legislation was an attempt by Democratic state lawmakers to support Southern California hotel workers and Hollywood actors and writers who have been on strike for much of this year. The writers strike ended Sept. 26, but the other two are ongoing — meaning many workers have gone months without pay.
Beyond the debt, the Newsom administration has said the fund is not collecting enough money to pay all of the benefits owed. The money comes from a tax businesses must pay on each worker. But that tax only applies to the first $7,000 of workers’ wages, a figure that has not changed since 1984 and is the lowest amount allowed under federal law.
Meanwhile, unemployment benefits have increased. The Newsom administration has predicted benefit payments will exceed tax collections by $1.1 billion this year. It’s the first time this has happened during a period of job growth, according to the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office.
Lawmakers could attempt to pass the law anyway, but it’s been decades since a governor’s veto was overruled in California.
veryGood! (817)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Southern Baptists expel Oklahoma church after pastor defends his blackface and Native caricatures
- Colts TE Kylen Granson celebrates first NFL touchdown with hilarious baby photoshoot
- Iran’s president urges US to demonstrate it wants to return to the 2015 nuclear deal
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Some Virginia Democrats say livestreamed sex acts a distraction from election’s real stakes
- 16 states underfunded historically Black land-grant universities, Biden administration says
- Explosion in Union Pacific’s massive railyard in Nebraska appears accidental, investigators say
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Shohei Ohtani has elbow surgery, with 'eye on big picture' as free-agent stakes near
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Prosecutors set to lay out case against officers in death of unarmed Black man in Denver suburb
- Mischa Barton Reflects on Healing and Changing 20 Years After The O.C.'s Premiere
- Inside the delicate art of maintaining America’s aging nuclear weapons
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Chelsea Clinton hopes new donations and ideas can help women and girls face increasing challenges
- Argentina’s former detention and torture site added to UNESCO World Heritage list
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals the Intense Workout Routine Behind Her Fitness Transformation
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
The Truth About Kim Kardashian and Odell Beckham Jr.'s Relationship Status
Bachelor Star Clayton Echard Served With Paternity Lawsuit From Alleged Pregnant Ex
Asteroid that passes nearby could hit Earth in the future, NASA says
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Sacramento prosecutor sues California’s capital city over failure to clean up homeless encampments
These Adorable Photos of Rihanna and A$AP Rocky's Sons Riot and RZA Deserve a Round of Applause
This rare Bob Ross painting could be yours — for close to $10 million