Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Musk's X to charge users in Philippines and New Zealand $1 to use platform -Capitatum
Algosensey|Musk's X to charge users in Philippines and New Zealand $1 to use platform
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 09:06:20
X,Algosensey formerly known as Twitter, will start charging users in the Philippines and New Zealand a $1 fee to use the service, a move owner Elon Musk says is aimed at curbing the presence of bots on the site.
The company announced the program, called Not a Bot, late Tuesday, saying the annual fee will apply to new users who want to post, like, reply and quote other content on the platform. Reading posts on the site's timeline will be possible without a charge.
Musk hinted at a paywall in the works for users of X in a September interview with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, claiming that it may be the only way "to combat vast armies of bots."
The idea is that by charging "a few dollars or something" it could deter the creation of new fake accounts since bots just cost "a fraction of a penny" to create, Musk told Netanyahu.
If the annual fees for using the site are applied more widely, it would mark a major departure for the social media service, which has been free to use since it was founded in 2006.
It is unclear why the company chose to start annual fees in the Philippines and New Zealand. Whether and when the initiative will reach other users around the world is also not known. The $1-a-year fee plan was first reported by Fortune.
Cracking down on bots, also known as spam or fake accounts, that mimic real people, has been a focus of Musk since he purchased the platform last year. But despite his best efforts, bots do still remain a persistent problem.
Since Musk's takeover, he has made other drastic changes, including reducing staff by more than 75% and making "verified" blue check marks available for $8 a month.
While Musk says the $1 annual subscription experiment is not aimed at making money, the company has been struggling financially in the face of changes made under the billionaire that have created new levels of chaos and mayhem on the site.
Musk himself has said that advertising revenue on the platform is down 60% since his takeover.
Fewer people are using X, too.
New figures from web traffic tracking firm SimilarWeb show that global web traffic to the site is down 14% compared to last year. In the U.S., which makes up about a quarter of its web traffic, the platform experienced a nearly 20% decline in traffic compared to year-ago figures.
Still, new X CEO Linda Yaccarino, a former ad executive, said recently that the company could be profitable by early next year, as she works to bring back skittish advertisers who left the platform since Musk assumed the reins.
The Israel-Gaza war has tested X in new ways. Since the violence erupted, a flood of bogus claims, unsubstantiated rumors and other falsehoods have inundated the platform.
Critics of X point to changes in the site's incentive structure as one reason for the surge in disinformation.
For instance, users who pay for a Twitter Blue subscription, affixing a "verification" badge to their profile, can make money off posts that go viral, spurring many to take advantage of misleading posts in order to earn a profit.
X's handling of disinformation and illegal content on the site since the war started has led to an investigation by the European Commission. Under a European Union law known as the Digital Services Act, social platforms must quickly remove illegal content such as hate speech, incitements of violence, and harmful disinformation. Failing to do could trigger fees equivalent to 6% of a company's annual global revenue.
veryGood! (39713)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Best Friend Day Gifts Under $100: Here's What To Buy the Bestie That Has It All
- What’s Behind Big Oil’s Promises of Emissions Cuts? Lots of Wiggle Room.
- Former Exxon Scientists Tell Congress of Oil Giant’s Climate Research Before Exxon Turned to Denial
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- All-transgender and nonbinary hockey team offers players a found family on ice
- With Hurricanes and Toxic Algae, Florida Candidates Can’t Ignore the Environment
- New Climate Warnings in Old Permafrost: ‘It’s a Little Scary Because it’s Happening Under Our Feet.’
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Vanderpump Rules Reunion: Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss' Affair Comes to a Shocking Conclusion
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Appalachia’s Strip-Mined Mountains Face a Growing Climate Risk: Flooding
- 2020: A Year of Pipeline Court Fights, with One Lawsuit Headed to the Supreme Court
- 100% Renewable Energy: Cleveland Sets a Big Goal as It Sheds Its Fossil Fuel Past
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Amazon Reviewers Say This On-Sale Cooling Blanket Really Works
- The Ultimatum: Queer Love Relationship Status Check: Who's Still Together?
- Massachusetts Can Legally Limit CO2 Emissions from Power Plants, Court Rules
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Politicians Are Considering Paying Farmers to Store Carbon. But Some Environmental and Agriculture Groups Say It’s Greenwashing
Breaking Bad Actor Mike Batayeh Dead at 52
Diana Madison Beauty Masks, Cleansers, Body Oils & More That Will Get You Glowing This Summer
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
NASCAR contractor electrocuted to death while setting up course for Chicago Street Race
Mark Consuelos Reveals Warning Text He Received From Daughter Lola During Live With Kelly & Mark
Why Hailey Bieber Says Her Viral Glazed Donut Skin Will Never Go Out of Style