Current:Home > StocksAuthorities target two Texas firms in probe of AI-generated robocalls before New Hampshire’s primary -Capitatum
Authorities target two Texas firms in probe of AI-generated robocalls before New Hampshire’s primary
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:40:09
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Authorities issued cease-and-desist orders Tuesday against two Texas companies they believe were connected to robocalls that used artificial intelligence to mimic President Joe Biden’s voice and discourage people from voting in New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary last month.
New Hampshire Attorney General John Formella said investigators have identified the source of the calls as Life Corporation and said they were transmitted by a company called Lingo Telecom. New Hampshire issued cease-and-desist orders and subpoenas to both companies, while the Federal Communications Commission issued a cease-and-desist letter to the telecommunications company, Formella said. In a statement, the FCC said it was trying to stop “behavior that violates voter suppression laws.”
During a news conference to discuss the investigation, Formella described the calls as the clearest and possibly first known attempt to use AI to interfere with an election in the U.S.
“That’s been something we’ve been concerned about in the law enforcement community for a while, and it’s certainly something that state attorneys general have talked about, but we had not seen as concrete of an example as this, days before a primary,” he said.
A message left for Life Corporation’s owner, Walter Monk, at his company Wholesale Communication was not immediately returned. Alex Valencia, who was named in an FCC letter as the chief compliance officer at Lingo Telecom, did not immediately return an emailed request for comment.
The recorded message was sent to between 5,000 and 25,000 voters two days before the Jan. 23 primary. It used a voice similar to Biden’s, employed his often-used phrase, “What a bunch of malarkey” and falsely suggested that voting in the primary would preclude voters from casting a ballot in November’s general election.
Biden won the Democratic primary as a write-in candidate after he kept his name off the ballot in deference to South Carolina’s new lead-off position for the Democratic primaries.
The calls falsely showed up to recipients as coming from the personal cellphone number of Kathy Sullivan, a former state Democratic Party chair who helps run Granite for America, a super PAC that supported the Biden write-in campaign. Formella said at least 10 people who received the calls then called Sullivan.
The apparent attempt at voter suppression using rapidly advancing generative AI technology is one example of what experts warn will make 2024 a year of unprecedented election disinformation around the world. Formella said the investigation is just beginning, but he wanted to send a strong message to deter others who might be tempted to interfere in this year’s elections.
“Our message is clear: Law enforcement across the country is unified on a bipartisan basis and ready to work together to combat any attempt to undermine our elections,” he said.
___
Swenson reported from New York.
veryGood! (93932)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Yellow-legged hornets, murder hornet's relative, found in Georgia, officials want them destroyed
- USC remains silent on O.J. Simpson’s death, underscoring complicated connections to football star
- A decorated WWII veteran was killed execution style while delivering milk in 1968. His murder has finally been solved.
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Angelina Jolie Shares Why Daughter Vivienne, 15, Is Tough in Her New Role
- Biden announced $7.4 billion in student loan relief. Here's how that looks in your state
- Maggie Rogers on ‘Don’t Forget Me,’ the album she wrote for a Sunday drive
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Go To Extremes
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese headline one of the most anticipated WNBA drafts in years
- US agency says it will investigate Ford gasoline leak recall that can cause engine compartment fires
- A Group of Women Took Switzerland to Court Over Climate Inaction—and Won
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Is sharing music your love language? Here's how to make a collaborative playlist
- Masters weather: What's the forecast for Friday's second round at Augusta?
- Wilma Wealth Management: Case Studies of Wilma Wealth Management's Investments
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
8-year-old Kentucky boy died from fentanyl not from eating strawberries, coroner reveals
Maine lawmakers approve shield law for providers of abortion and gender-affirming care
A human head was found in an apartment refrigerator. The resident is charged with murder
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Drake dismissed from Astroworld lawsuit following deadly 2021 music festival
Julia Fox's Latest Look Includes a Hairy Boob Bra and Closed Vagina Underwear
Sister of missing Minnesota woman Maddi Kingsbury says her pleas for help on TikTok generated more tips