Current:Home > NewsSearch for missing Titanic sub yields noises for a 2nd day, U.S. Coast Guard says -Capitatum
Search for missing Titanic sub yields noises for a 2nd day, U.S. Coast Guard says
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:12:29
Crews searching for a sub that went missing while taking five people to the wreckage of the Titanic continued to hear noises Wednesday and were "actively searching" the area, the U.S. Coast Guard said.
Overnight, the agency said a Canadian search plane detected noises underwater in the search area Tuesday and crews were focused on finding the origin of the sounds. Coast Guard Capt. Jamie Frederick said a plane heard the noises Wednesday morning as well.
"With respect to the noises, specifically, we don't know what they are, to be frank with you," Frederick said at a briefing Wednesday. "...We're searching in the area where the noises were detected."
He said the team has two ROVs — remotely operated underwater vehicles — "actively searching," plus several more are on the way and expected to join the search operation Thursday.
Search flights were scheduled to continue throughout the day and into the evening, Frederick said.
Carl Hartsfield of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution said the noises have been described as banging noises, but he also said it was difficult to discern the source of noises underwater.
"They have to put the whole picture together in context and they have to eliminate potential man-made sources other than the Titan," Hartsfield said, referring to the sub's name. "...The team is searching in the right area, so if you continue to do the analysis, look for different patterns and search in the right area, you're doing, you know, the best you possibly can do with the best people on the case."
The sub's disappearance on Sunday has spurred a massive response from the U.S. and Canada as search crews rush to find the missing group in the north Atlantic Ocean. Five vessels were searching for the sub on the water's surface as of Wednesday afternoon, and that number was expected to double to 10 within 24 to 48 hours, Frederick said.
A Canadian research vessel lost contact with the 21-foot sub an hour and 45 minutes into its dive Sunday morning about 900 nautical miles off the coast of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. It had been expected to resurface Sunday afternoon.
The size of the search area has expanded to approximately twice the size of Connecticut, with an underwater depth of up to 2 and a half miles, Frederick said.
Frederick continued to express optimism about the search in its third full day.
"When you're in the middle of a search and rescue case, you always have hope," he said. "That's why we're doing what we do."
Frederick said on Tuesday that the sub could have around 40 hours of breathable air remaining, but declined to provide a new estimate in Wednesday's briefing, saying that the remaining oxygen was "a dialogue that's happening" but not the only detail being considered.
"This is a search and rescue mission, 100%," he said. "We are smack-dab in the middle of search and rescue, and we'll continue to put every available asset that we have in an effort to find the Titan and the crew members."
Frederick acknowledged that sometimes search and rescue missions aren't successful and officials have to make "a tough decision" about continuing efforts.
"We're not there yet," he said. "But, if we continue to search, potentially we could be at that point, but, again, we're not there yet."
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- United States Coast Guard
- Live Streaming
Alex Sundby is a senior editor for CBSNews.com
TwitterveryGood! (74)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Idaho’s longest-serving death row inmate is scheduled for a November execution by lethal injection
- Why The View's Ana Navarro Calls Jada Pinkett Smith's Will Smith Separation Reveal Unseemly
- Many who struggled against Poland’s communist system feel they are fighting for democracy once again
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- X-rays of the Mona Lisa reveal new secret about Leonardo da Vinci masterpiece
- Judge scolds prosecutors as she delays hearing for co-defendant in Trump classified documents case
- Why do people get ink on Friday the 13th? How the day became lucky for the tattoo industry
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- 5 things podcast: Book bans hit fever pitch. Who gets to decide what we can or can't read?
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- New species of ancient scraper tooth shark identified at Mammoth Cave in Kentucky
- Timeline: How a music festival in Israel turned into a living nightmare
- Shaquille O'Neal announced as president of Reebok Basketball division, Allen Iverson named vice president
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Republicans tweak Brewers stadium repair plan to cut the total public contribution by $54 million
- Taylor Swift returns to Arrowhead Stadium to see Travis Kelce and the Chiefs face the Broncos
- Sen. Bob Menendez hit with new charge of conspiring to act as foreign agent
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Prosecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information
Georgia wants to study deepening Savannah’s harbor again on heels of $973 million dredging project
Natalia Bryant Shares How She's Honoring Dad Kobe Bryant's Legacy With Mamba Mentality
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Russian authorities raid the homes of lawyers for imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny
A doctors group calls its ‘excited delirium’ paper outdated and withdraws its approval
Bruce Willis Is “Not Totally Verbal” Amid Aphasia and Dementia Battle